Modify 'Recent Files' to include 'Library'

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Let's Sekuhara!, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Let's Sekuhara!, Jun 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2013

Let's Sekuhara! macrumors 6502

Let's Sekuhara!

In Finder one can have a Smart Folder that displays the recent files you viewed or modified in the last day, week, etc.
    Useful for the average user, but for someone who wants to also include contents of the Library folder, how can that be done?

I ran an installer and cancelled it partway through the process. I want to see if any new files were written to my Library folder and if so, what/where they are.

Thanks in advance.

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

A LOT of files in the Library folder get modified during normal use, so you still might not be able to see the wood for the trees.
    You can include system files within a Smart Folder/Spotlight search, so that should display user Library files.

If you didn't run the app, it is likely to have installed things in the top level /Library folder, rather than the user Library folder.

Your best option is to use Pacifist from Charlesoft, which can browse an installer package and show you where the files are to be installed.

3. Let's Sekuhara! thread starter macrumors 6502

Let's Sekuhara!

Thanks Ben,

I ended up just combing through all of the places in the Library locations where files were likely to be written, and deleted the files that I could identify as being affiliated with the software.

It was quicker than trying to figure out how to make Finder's Smart Folders include Library.