Modifying a Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Macowner2, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Macowner2 macrumors newbie

When my 500 GB Time capsule hard drive expired I fitted a 2TB hard drive in its place. While my iMac does see and records the fact there is a 2 TB HD fitted, the time capsule itself only uses 500 GB of the 2 TB. Any clues on how to make the Time Capsule use all of the 2 TB, would be welcome. Many thanks in advance.
    Richard in UK

2. jw2002 macrumors 6502

Maybe it's a Time Machine issue? The sparesbundle file on your Time Capsule is probably set to not grow beyond some certain size. If that's the case, then you should be able to change that setting with Disk Utility.

3. Macowner2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Modifying a Time Capsule

Hi JW2002
    Thanks for the input. Unfortunately the disc app shows the full partition of 2TB but reports 1.45TB left, the TC then did a 922.3MB backup after which I checked on the disc app and it still showed 1.45TB left, curiously the widget shows 1.33TB left:confused: Whats a .12TB among friends.

4. davidwat macrumors newbie

Modifying a Time Capsule

Didyou ever find a solution to your problem?
    David - Dallas

5. scottkifnw macrumors regular

scottkifnw

A question, possibly related

My TC is full. I hooked a 500 GB G-Tech drive up to the USB port on the TC, but can't back up to it. Then I remembered reading a while ago that external drives can't be used for backup.

So, my question is, is that still the case?
    My comment is, if that is still true, perhaps the firmware is set to not let you use your 2 TB drives.

I appreciate any input.

6. Macowner2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Modifying a time capsule

Hi All & jw 2002
    Sussed the problem:D.
    When I put the my friends HD from his TC in a caddy the looked at it with the disc app in utils, I found there were in fact 3 partitions one of which was 500GB, so I set up 3 new partions on the 2TB HD. Now all works as it should, so it wasn't a firmware problem. I have to award myself a dummies certificate for not realising that before, no I'll put it down I needed a G&T to clear the grey stuff:rolleyes:.
    Hi scottkifnw
    I found on my TC you could only use a HD on the USB skt on the TC to copy files to and from as any external HD only slower, and not for Time machine backups.

7. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Have been posting a it about this recently.

Does anyone know about this?

Time capsule for router and wireless back up with a netgear ready nas plugged in, either by gigabit or usb

Then use the TC for wireless backup of my mac

Then use one of the readynas HDD to make back ups of my TC - additional safety issue and then use the other HDD of the readyNAS as my itunes/media server

I believe this would work but the issues I guess are making the readynad back up the time capsule???

8. Macowner2 thread starter macrumors newbie

TC Back ups

Hi bcburrows

I have copied the sparcebundles to my QNAP NAS but you cant use them as it screws up the TC when you put them back again. Same way you can't copy a clone image to a NAS as technicaly it is a computer in its own right and doesn't understand Apple language.
    Well thats on my setup.

Macpro 15" 2.66G 4GB 550GB HD
    iMac 2.66 4GB 350GB HD
    TC 2TB HD wireles & cat 6 ethernet
    Qnap NAS 2x1TB raid 1 config