modifying .kext extensions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cutcopypaste, Feb 3, 2009.

1. cutcopypaste macrumors regular

I have a kext file from the macbookpro forums that will let me use 4 finger gestures on my early 2008 macbook pro. I can't replace the current AppleUSBMultitouch.kext no matter what I try to unlock the folder/repair permissions etc and I know I'm in the administrator account. So I need to know the basics of modifying these (and don't worry, I have it backed up etc)

2. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

There are several tutorials /write-ups about this on this forum (and on the rest of the web.)

If you can't find or understand the information, then it's probably a sign that you should be messing about with the more critical parts of your OS.

3. cutcopypaste thread starter macrumors regular

i did a quick google search and didn't find anything that i trusted. (who else wishes it was easier to prioritize recent posts?)

i didn't see the tutorials here, a link would have been nice though. i'm pretty computer savvy i'm just less up with the lingo since i'm relatively new to macs so i don't know the best terms to search for.

4. cutcopypaste thread starter macrumors regular

where is the tutorial on here for that? i don't know what it would be called.

5. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Search for an app called KextHelper, it may help. I use it on my hacintosh.

6. Trip.Tucker Guest

tsk tsk tsk.

7. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

:eek: did I say some thing wrong?

8. cutcopypaste thread starter macrumors regular

yeah... i'm not sure. maybe people generally frown on programs that do strange systemy things for you when you can do them yourself

9. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Well you can do it through the terminal as well.. but I figured this would be quicker ;)

Also in KextHelper if you click advanced it shows you what is really going on. Shows the terminal commands. So it could be used as a nice learning tool ;)

10. cutcopypaste thread starter macrumors regular

sounds cool, i will check it out. i was under the impression from what was said in other threads that i could make changes by repairing permissions and then just.. changing the files... but that doesn't seem to be the case

11. Stachelsk macrumors regular

Create a backup file of the old kext and copy over the new one.

Terminal:

Code:
    sudo mv -f /source/to/old/kext /source/to/old/kext.backup
    sudo mv -f /source/of/new/kext /source/to/old/kext

12. cutcopypaste thread starter macrumors regular

i'm kinda curious cause it was implied to be possible.. can you do that outside of terminal?
    maybe it's time i got into terminal, though.

13. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Right, see *that's* why I recommended you not mess around with kernel extensions. :D

14. ihabime macrumors 6502

open the finder to "/system/library/extensions/"
    Drag the old kext to the trash, it will ask you to authenticate, type in your password.
    DO NOT EMPTY THE TRASH.
    Drag the new kext to the same folder, it will warn you that you don't have permissions, select authenticate, type your password.
    fix permissions.
    reboot.
    drag the old kext out of the trash to somewhere safe, keep until you're sure the new one isn't causing any problems.
    no need for the terminal.

ps, i have no idea where you got the new kext, so no guarantees that it will work out.