Modifying keyboard firmware

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by aethelbert, Nov 26, 2008.

1. aethelbert macrumors 601

I just got my macbook back from its fourth repair in about two years after my trackpad stopped working completely. It's a rev B so it used the old keyboard layout with assignable function keys for all exposé and dashboard commands (volume on F3-5, et al). However, the idiot that replaced the top case put one of the current layout. Not surprising, though, the keyboard functions like the original one, but the keys are different. Most notably, I'm out of a visual number pad and num lock (it still works, but I cannot see what I'm doing on the keys).

I can't really afford to be without the computer at the current time, so is there any way that I can load the current keyboard firmware onto the computer in the interim until I get it fixed? It just feels awkward doing things such as launching dashboard with the key labeled with the increase volume symbol.

And don't tell me to take it to the Apple store. I'm able to figure that one out myself and will do that when time allows (which is not the present moment). As nice a universal response that may be, it won't be helpful here.

Thanks

2. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Instead of messing with the firmware, may I suggest Keyboard Maestro to re-map your keys. It's got a 30-day free trial when I tried it in the past.
    http://www.keyboardmaestro.com/main/

You can also pick up an iskin keyboard cover (with printed keys).

3. aethelbert thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks for the suggestion of Keyboard Maestro, but it's not letting me remap everything through the entire OS and it won't let me move some of the functions which are hardwired into the keyboard firmware. I also use BootCamp a lot and I have the same problems there, but changing the base keyboard firmware should allow for windows to work with the current layout.

I don't really want to go out and buy a keyboard cover seeing as I would only be using it for about a month until I get the right keyboard installed.

4. macexpert417 macrumors newbie

I don't believe you. A mac genius isn't dumb enough to put on a black and metal top case with glass trackpad onto an old macbook (why do you still have that dinosaur anyway?) and it wouldnt even fit anyway and the plastic macbooks didn't have a number pad. Way to epic fail noob.

5. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

His is talking about the keyboard itself and not the whole case. Really com'on.

6. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

Reading comprehension > You!

7. aethelbert thread starter macrumors 601

Wow, your username says it all, doesn't it? Thanks for pointing out my stupidity. I will now run off with my dinosaur to a land where I can apply advice from one such an "expert" as yourself. Enjoy the rest of grade 2, mate!

Any non-experts out there have any ideas for this dilemma?

8. menthol moose macrumors regular

I know in Mac OS X there's a pane in System Preferences to remap the expose, dashboard, etc. commands, as well as display brightness. Just go to keyboard and mouse, and click on keyboard shortcuts. This won't work for all of them, nor will it work in Boot Camp, but it is a start.

Actually, here's an interesting page about the MacBook Pro keyboard, which is pretty similar to the one on your Macbook: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1220. It might be helpful in Boot Camp, although I can't be certain.

9. rd261 macrumors regular

LOL. And regarding the dinosaur comment, not everyone is as rich as you are to buy a new machine every 6 months. :rolleyes:

Regarding your issue I would recommend a software for remapping the keys, but seeing that it didn't work Im out of ideas.

10. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

you're smart like toothpaste

11. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

Personally, I would just live with it if it's only for a month. If it was not supposed to be fixed in the foreseeable future, then I would worry about the firmware.

12. aethelbert thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks for the suggestion, but the keys F1-F5 are hard coded which means that I would have to change something in the firmware to get it to work with the visual assignment on the key. The brightness keys are of course the same, but I cannot move the volume keys over to F10-12 which means that I can't reassign exposé and dashboard to F3 and 4.

13. macexpert417 macrumors newbie

if you would actually read akonradi said that the computer was about two years old. Seriously, who keeps computers for that long?? You dont need to be rich to upgrade the new macbook is only $1299.

14. greenday123 macrumors 6502

try software update, see if it gives you the update for that keyboard, maybe it will give you the proper firmware for it.

15. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

you just get dumber by the minute dont you?

16. rd261 macrumors regular

First of all I think I understood his post much better than you did. Second of all a computer is useful for as long as it lasts. Third of all, $1299 is a lot of money if you are in a limited budget or need that money for something else, such as paying tuition. Maybe is just me, but I don't see the point in upgrading a computer that's still fully functional and satisfies your needs.
    Other than that I'll end this discussion here, because neither of us is helping solve the the OP's issue.