Modifying lightning cable to reduce friction

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jeffreyropp, May 2, 2013.

1. jeffreyropp, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013

jeffreyropp macrumors member

Anyone tried this successfully? There's a guy (unrelated to me) selling modified cables on eBay that reduce the friction when inserting or withdrawing the cable from the phone. For those with Elevation docks, it renders the dock much more usable.

Here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

In the description he states the he dremeled the sides so they are tapered.

Anyone have tips? Pictures?

2. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

$50? WTF?

I have 3 Elevation docks. I bet I could buy a damn Dremel for less then the cost of buying those cables.

3. jeffreyropp thread starter macrumors member

That was easy.

5 minutes with a $2 file did the trick.

I'll make them for $20 too.

4. Partridge macrumors 6502

I don't like how he did it. Quick and dirty. But it narrows the tip of the connector and to my eye would make it more unstable and more likely to be malpositioned.

I used some fine needle files to extend the locking notch to the end of the connector and then polished it. It pulls free with ease now.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21367617406.177062.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21367617423.939449.jpg

5. Manksgloob macrumors newbie

Sorry for the thread necrophilia but it was the only way to provide context.

I picked up an official Apple iPhone 5S dock this morning and immediately tore it apart. Check it out! Low-friction Lightning connector (compared to a normal connector).

[​IMG]
    (Sorry that it's out of focus but I think the difference is still discernible.)

Gallery: http://imgur.com/a/VhHnY#0

Working on a way of putting it into my Elevation Dock now! It even has audio output again!

6. polpo macrumors newbie

Very interesting! Is there even enough room inside the Elevation Dock for all the guts? It looks like the Apple 5S dock has a fairly large board inside it. Or is it multiple smaller boards connected with flex cables? An overview picture of the dock's internals would be helpful.

7. Forensicus macrumors newbie

Thx, brilliant photos. I'll have my DIY-guy (should he be called a C(an't)DIY-guy since I'm not doing it??) modify my cable in my 2 Elevation Lab Docks