Mod'ing an iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by skinnylegs, May 21, 2009.

1. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

I have a milky white Intel based iMac. About 6 months ago, the LCD went bad and it's sat in my closet ever since. The cost to replace the LCD is about a grand so it's not really worth replacing that. However, the rest of the computer (HD, RAM etc) is just fine. I could port video out to an external monitor by way of the Mini DVI port and that would solve the problem but I'm wondering if it would be possible to "shave" off the upper portion of the iMac without fubar'ing the whole rig. I have attached a picture of what it would look like afterwards. My concern is that I really don't know if there are any critical parts to the left and right and above the LCD.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

No. Its not possible. Most of the computer isn't in that bottom bit, its behind the screen

3. bartelby macrumors Core

HUH?
    :confused:

The whole logic board is behind the screen.

4. skinnylegs thread starter macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

5. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

However, you *could* do something like this although it could be done even neater imo.

It wouldn't be that hard to dismantle your iMac and mount it inside an acrylic box, using cheap 50cm usb, firewire, DVI and audio cable 50 cm extension leads, mounting the leads on the box's wall.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

ifixit for more info. Perhaps you can replace the lcd?

7. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

While you can get replacement screens from eBay, you have to be very careful as to which one you buy. Screens for 20" iMac G5s and Intel machines all share the same model number but differ in something like a "B" or a "D" or something at the end, that's usually left off from advertisements. You have to have *exactly* the same model screen. G5 screens will *not* work.