Modo by Manfrotto: Any good?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by BarryW, Dec 13, 2007.

1. BarryW macrumors member

Hi all,

Does anybody have any experience with the Modo tripods?
    I like the fact that they can fold up really small, and can fit in my backpack. My only concern is that it seems a bit unstable.

Your feedback is appreciated

2. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Depends on what camera you're trying to support. The max weight for one of these is 2.2 lbs. Given that my 24-70 L is about 2.1 pounds, it wouldn't be something that I would use. If you're looking for portability, coupled with good support, look at some monopods... unless you're looking for a tripod to support a P&S.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Get one of the 7-series Manfrotto Tripods. I don't know the models, but they're something like Manfrotto 714 or 718. They don't carry a lot of weight, but can handle around 2.5 kg (up to a maximum of around 3.5 kg to 4 kg), which is more than enough to hold a 600-800 g camera + even a 1.5 kg 70-200 mm f/2.8 lens. Barely. ;) With lenses smaller than this, the 7XY tripods are good enough. If you owned a 70-200 mm, you'd probably want a better tripod anyway. For small and mid-sized lenses, these tripods can handle it. They're also lighter, less bulky, and cheaper in price.

4. BarryW thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your replies.

Forgot to mention the type , I have a Nikon D40X

5. techgeek macrumors member

I use a modo for my Canon 20D with no problems.
    They are a lot more stable than they look.
    However, I wouldn't put a big lens on there. It's fine with my EFS 17-85 IS though.

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

You can make any tripod more stable by filling a bag with rocks and hanging it under the tripod. It really glues the legs to the ground and lowers the overall center of gravity.