Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edhchoe1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2015
Is Apple giving us modular face with second hand like a proper digital watch?

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
I'm guessing not; this has always been my biggest issue with the watch; that it can't display accurate time on the digital faces. (Not counting the activity one which is v limited in content).

Reactions: edhchoe

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Modular Compact shows seconds around the digital time display. FINALLY.

86BDFCBF-1A95-4B25-BFD8-2831543AEE44.png

Bill Av

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2006
Well it's better than nothing, but is it really so hard to display the seconds as two digits?

That's my question. The digital Activity screen comes close - except for the Activity part taking up most of the screen. It shows seconds as well as the entire date (Day/Month/Date). The bad is that it only shows two complications at the top, even though there's room for four (WTF?) and the aforementioned Activity complication in the middle.

Allow the Activity to be swapped out with a large "middle" complication and the ability to show three (medium) or four (small) complications at the top and you've got a winner in my book.

Reactions: Craiguyver

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
This one really aggravates me because it seems so simple to implement. Why can't we have a face like infograph modular where the time is large, in the middle, and has seconds instead of having a big complication in the center?

Bill Av

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2006
What I don't understand is why we can't make whatever faces we want - drag whatever complications, time displays, etc onto a face? You can make your own levels in video games, which seems more complicated than a watch face. Is it a technical issue, or is it a control issue?

Last edited:

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
Apple's continued refusal to have a 2-digit seconds display cannot be accidental, therefore it must have a philosophical basis.

I wonder what it is?

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
In Infograph Modular, you can add a complication to the left of the time to display the seconds. Strange place to put it, but it works for me. In addition, you get one large complication and four smaller complications (one of which has to be the date) which is nice.

Reactions: Bill Av and bobob

Bill Av

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2006
In Infograph Modular, you can add a complication to the left of the time to display the seconds. Strange place to put it, but it works for me. In addition, you get one large complication and four smaller complications (one of which has to be the date) which is nice.
How… long… has… that… been… THERE?

Thanks. That’s an awesome tip 👍

Reactions: RickTaylor

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
It's just frustrating to me that there's that big complication in the center that would be the perfect space for the time and you can't put it there.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
Here's a screen shot of it. I appreciate having the three small complications at the bottom.

incoming-73B80AB6-5058-4BE6-BDCF-C3C328D03C17.PNG

Attachments

• incoming-F795946F-CB62-4794-9199-423333E30FFE.PNG
    incoming-F795946F-CB62-4794-9199-423333E30FFE.PNG
    58.7 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
How… long… has… that… been… THERE?

I don't know. I bought my watch a within the last two weeks, and only discovered that face a few days ago. I googled looking for a digital watch face that showed seconds; that's how I found this thread. Eventually I sat down and went through all the faces in the face gallery until I found this one.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I just read that in Apple Watch 9, "Infograph Modular" is being renamed "Modular" (and what was Modular is being dropped). I'm updating my Apple Watch, and will post to confirm this when that's done.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I updated my watch to WatchOS 9. Thank goodness I can still have the same watch face, though it's been renamed from "Infographics Modular" to just "Modular."

I still like Modular Compact; my only complaint is I wish it had one more small complication so I could display the date, temperature, and battery, while using the large complication for schedule.

California is new, and while it is analog I think it is an improvement, as there is only one tick mark per second along the circumference which I thinks makes it easier to read.

Infograph is analog, but you can display a small digital readout of the time with seconds, although it will be blocked as the minute hand sweeps around.

Followup: Actually, modular compact has a disadvantage I didn't appreciate before. When I glance at it, it takes me a moment to see if the seconds are at zero or turned off. So I'm going back and forth between Modular and California; California is analog, but having tick marks at 1 second intervals really helps.

Followup 2: I'm happy with modular with digital seconds turned on, and the large complication in the middle used to show the next event on my calendar.

Last edited:

blackNBUK

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2010
UK
It's just frustrating to me that there's that big complication in the center that would be the perfect space for the time and you can't put it there.

A new watch face with digital time with seconds in the middle and complications above and below would be a good addition. There’s a big gap between Modular and the huge digit faces.

I suppose Apple’s approach is that a stopwatch or timer is a better alternative to seconds. I can see that but we’ve got all sorts of odd faces now, a digital face with seconds and several complications isn’t much to ask.

Reactions: xpxp2002

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
A new watch face with digital time with seconds in the middle and complications above and below would be a good addition. There’s a big gap between Modular and the huge digit faces.
Yep. That's my wish every year and every year they disappoint me.

Reactions: xpxp2002
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.