Moisture damage - will the keys on my keyboard ever work again?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wlow3, May 25, 2010.

1. wlow3 macrumors regular

I have the new wireless keyboard, which I had for a while, and one day I did something really dumb -- I shook a Starbucks Mocha drink (that comes in the bottle) ... only I forgot that I had already removed the lid. Argh! Well I got Starbucks Mocha drink splatter on the keyboard. I grabbed a paper towel and I flipped the keyboard over and I dabbed it dry (and at some point I turned it off). Then I put it upside down on a portable air cleaner (one of those things that are suppose to remove dust and allergens from the air) that takes in air from the side and blows it up through the top, thinking that this would help evaporate any remaining moisture.

Well after a bit I turned it back on and I found that every key worked except for the letter N. Pressing it would not even wake the computer from sleep so it seemed dead. Since some of the keys were sticky-ish, I decided to pop off those keys and clean them. I used a paper towel and window cleaner to clean the popped off keys. Sometimes I'd dab the moist towel on the exposed area from where the key came from on the keyboard if there was any trace off dry Starbucks Mocha (and we're talking micro amounts, barely visible bits of brown, both under the key itself and the exposed area on the keyboard).

All seemed to go well (the unit was off for the cleaning) till I turned it on the next day. Now nearly the whole zxcv row is out as with most of the asdf row and the letter U in the qwer row out. I cleaned keys in rows above this and I cleaned some keys in the rows that are out but not nearly all these keys. I don't get the pattern.

Is the keyboard trashed? Is there any hope? I can't believe such relatively small amounts of liquid could short everything out. I've never owned one so fragile.

2. Auszero macrumors member

Take the batteries out and put it in the dishwasher without soap or dishes. You have nothing to lose. Just make sure you let it sit a couple days afterward. Ive heard washing keyboards like this works. It might help.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The old plastic keyboard could be taken apart and cleaned/repaired.

The newer aluminum keyboards are glued together, you either wait for it to dry, or give it a bath ... since taking them apart tends to destroy them.

4. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

I have also heard about the dishwasher without soap, though I might be a little concerned about how hot it gets.

I once spilled beer on my mouse and it was acting up. I soaked it in a glass of hot water for a while then let it dry a couple of days, and it's been fine ever since.

You need to let it dry good before applying power or you might do more permanent damage.