Moisture - How do I carry my iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by muirheadnw, Nov 9, 2008.

1. muirheadnw macrumors newbie

There are moisture sensors in the iPhone. If they get wet the warranty does not work.

I noticed that when I carry my iPhone in my shirt pocket and go for a walk, moisture collects on the screen.

I am now afraid that walking with my iPhone in my pocket may kill the warranty. This does not make my iPhone very useful if I cannot carry it in my pocket.

How an I safely carry my iPhone?

2. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

stop sweating so much man, lol im kidding, i don't know, i don't think the sensors are thatttttt sensitive. Also why not just get a case and keep it in your pant pockets...

3. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

I don't think the sensors would be that touchy as to catch moisture... I think it is more or less if it gets wet it will change to red.

I could be wrong as I have never tested this, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

4. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

if you're really worried... get a otterbox... but that's bizarre unless your walking in rain? or sweating a lot....

5. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yeha teh so called sensors are just sticky papers that turn red when wet, i don't think they'll turn red just with a sweaty chest, unless sweat is really dripping in thru all the holes?:confused:

6. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure the sensors can't be that sensitive since products such as Zagg and bodyguardz pretty much have you wetting the backside of the phone...

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The sensors are located in the headphone jack right? The screen is fully sealed because of the glass, water will not go thru the seam of the glass and reach the headphone jack.

8. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

There are two sensors that are visible without opening the iPhone 3G. One in the headphone jack, directly at the bottom of the hole it's white, so it will not be easy to see, and when it collects water it turns red. There is a second sensor within the doc connector port. It's on the side of a the back of the iPhone and it's oddly shaped. Almost crescent. It's again white and will turn pink/red when wet.

I also worry about my iPhone and the sensors reacting to water. I find my iPhone with water collected on my screen while in my pocket, and have had friends with cheaper phones have their water sensors go off just hours after buying a brand new, dry phone. There is no way to express how pissed off I would be if my iPhone's warranty was voided as a result of this... All that I can say is be careful as possible. Luckily I only have to worry about the water on the screen in the summer. In the winter with an average somewhere around 20 degrees, there isn't much water collecting.

Good Luck!

9. Surely Guest

Surely

Try one of these:

[​IMG]

But seriously, I do use a ziplock bag when I go to the beach with my iPhone. Keeps the sand and salt water off and out of it.

10. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Seriously, I do too! Whenever I think my iPhone might get wet, out comes the ziplock. Especially when snowboarding. I always ziplock it to make sure snow, rain and sweat never effect my phone...

11. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

Just out of curiosity, how soon after taking a shower do you go for a walk?

I ask cause the same thing has happened to me before too, though it was with a WM phone so its ok, anyways, I got out, got dressed and tucked it into a jacket pocket and went off. About 20 min later, i took it out to take a call and it was really really moist and wet.

ever since then I always put my phones in a pants pocket.