Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

splifingate

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Greetings.

In my travels, today, I rode-by a bank and immediately recognized that someone had positioned an iMac sitting-pretty by their far-corner dumpster (notably used for a lot of reasons *outside* of normal, bank business) . . . just like on a desk, but quite singular standing all-alone on an expanse of concrete.

Setting-aside the particulars of ownership (researched the Serial, and it's not listed as stolen), and whether it's been locked via iCloud:

There was noticeable condensation behind the glass . . . I suctioned the glass from the body after I arrived home, and have set a fan to the face of it for these past five hours.

Considering that this unit may very-well have been exposed to a number of days of recent rain, there is a little staining on the magnets, and some rust-ish signs on the polyprene foam glass:LCD union, but the LCD is almost pristine.

The LCD torx screws are missing, so I can only guess that someone has previously removed the glass/LCD to get to the internals, and forgot (or was frustrated-enough) to not re-set the screws.

Anyone have any advice as to how long I should need to dry this 27" A1312 EMC:2429 beast before I dive-in, clean, and attempt to boot?

Regards, splifingate

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Greetings.

In my travels, today, I rode-by a bank and immediately recognized that someone had positioned an iMac sitting-pretty by their far-corner dumpster (notably used for a lot of reasons *outside* of normal, bank business) . . . just like on a desk, but quite singular standing all-alone on an expanse of concrete.

Setting-aside the particulars of ownership (researched the Serial, and it's not listed as stolen), and whether it's been locked via iCloud:

There was noticeable condensation behind the glass . . . I suctioned the glass from the body after I arrived home, and have set a fan to the face of it for these past five hours.

Considering that this unit may very-well have been exposed to a number of days of recent rain, there is a little staining on the magnets, and some rust-ish signs on the polyprene foam glass:LCD union, but the LCD is almost pristine.

The LCD torx screws are missing, so I can only guess that someone has previously removed the glass/LCD to get to the internals, and forgot (or was frustrated-enough) to not re-set the screws.

Anyone have any advice as to how long I should need to dry this 27" A1312 EMC:2429 beast before I dive-in, clean, and attempt to boot?

Regards, splifingate

Until a hygrometer with its sensor poked inside the iMac shows the same readout as ambient moisture.

Reactions: splifingate

KrazyKanuck

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2020
Greetings.

Regards, splifingate
By "dive-in" do you mean disassemble and clean? If so, I see no reason to wait. If anything, disassembling the machine and spreading out the components for a day or two will speed the drying process. If nothing shorted itself in the rain, I see no reason why disassembling it would substantially increase the risk to the components.

Last edited:

splifingate

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
By "dive-in" do you mean disassemble and clean? If so, I see no reason to wait. If anything, disassembling the machine and spreading out the components for a day or two will speed the drying process. If nothing shorted itself in the rain, I see no reason why disassembling it would substantially increase the risk to the components.

Yes . . . dis-assemble, and clean.

It's just a matter of priorities: I am in the midst of de-framing, spackling and painting living areas of my house (and the re-framing, dry-walling, etc. of the addition), so time&space is--expectedly--tight.

Said iMac a freeby, so nothing mission-critical . . . just my tech-geek being sternly reminded by my inner-GC that certain Projects must needs-be-done in a timely manner ;)

Considering the tear-down meme being propagated right now, time&space is very Real . . . nevertheless, I'm not inherently adverse to fsck'ing-up unnecessary hardware, but this *is* a rather sweet bit of kit ;)

This appears to be a busy week!

Regards, splifingate

splifingate

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
So, it's so:

Attached an external to the TB/DP port (directly adjacent to the FW port), and successfully booted the iMac.

Diag LED 1-3 lit, and I can get the beast to post.

It does not recognise a Gentoo Live usb (ø), Cat installer (ø) or repond in a manner to which I am accustomed (Mac Pro legacy exp.).

I was successfully able to get an SSD in the bay (the span of which was void of anything (prob. what the previous owner opened the beast to retreive)), and can boot (success) to a HS usb, Internet Recovery (success) and have subsequently installed HS onto the aforementioned SSD.

I can only get to a desktop in the new HS when entering Safe Mode (boot->Shift), so there are some interesting variables in this equation.

i7-2600; 12GB RAM; 6970M Radeon

I have yet to re-attach the main LCD for further diag

Regards, splifingate

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

splifingate

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Worst case scenario: The previous onwer caused some damages to the connections between the iMac and its LCD. Check all the connections and cables to see if any physical damage is visible.

Connectors (casual inspection) seem to be ok (main display ribbon was reverse-pressed behind display when they put it back, but it seems intact) . . . trying to maintain restraint until I tackle the Cleaning of teh Fans (and maybe an update of the Gfx) ;)

Regards, splifingate

Tekguy0

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2020
Sounds like a cool project...I wish I found an iMac just sitting there by my bank! Sounds like a pretty nice machine, 12 GB and the 6970M GPU. I would reset the NVRAM/PRAM and the SMC. That may clear any weirdness that you may experience. Good luck!

splifingate

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
*sigh*

Further re-boots reveal typical symptoms of radeon failure (last boot took me into a Blood Sucking Freaks red background) . . .

I inserted a y-splitter betwixt the sata power connector and the SSD (to no avail ("QVS SATAP15-06Y" does *not* work, for those interested in finding a working one)) . . . the HDD fan(s?) still ramp to Full.

Questioning, now, the propriety of purchasing a newer MXM to replace the 6970 . . . especially since I have not yet re-connected the lcd to determine if it actually retains proper functionality.

At least I now understand how to tear-down my 27" LCD Aluminum to clean the innards ;)

Regards, splifingate

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
*sigh*

Further re-boots reveal typical symptoms of radeon failure (last boot took me into a Blood Sucking Freaks red background) . . .

I inserted a y-splitter betwixt the sata power connector and the SSD (to no avail ("QVS SATAP15-06Y" does *not* work, for those interested in finding a working one)) . . . the HDD fan(s?) still ramp to Full.

Questioning, now, the propriety of purchasing a newer MXM to replace the 6970 . . . especially since I have not yet re-connected the lcd to determine if it actually retains proper functionality.

At least I now understand how to tear-down my 27" LCD Aluminum to clean the innards ;)

Regards, splifingate

Just use Mac Fan Control to slow-down the fans. No big deal.
They sell a K610M pre-flashed for 34$. Good for LCD testing.
If you want to go for something stronger and don't mind spending, K3100M/4100M/5100M will go well with the current heatsink.
Better yet is the WX7100M

USB3foriMac

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2020
Singapore

Just bake it at (preheated) 200degC (6min enough in my experience) and see whether you can get the Mac back to work. Most time it does. No need to sspend money first, you can still spend later if you must.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.