Mojave 10.14.6 Issue (mouse pointer disappears)

BotchQue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2019
Howdy Folks, Noob (to the forum) here.
Ever since I got the latest update to Mojave, my mouse pointer goes into Romulan Cloaking mode when I change to another website, or even return to a previous page. I can't see it, but as I move the mouse around different things change color/enlarge/etc, so I can get a general idea where it is. I move to an open area of screen, right-click, and then the black mouse pointer reappears. Gets annoying after awhile.
I joined this site, did a search in the Mojave sub-forum, but couldn't see that anyone else had this issue.

Any ideas? My machine is a: iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) Thanks!

Erehy Dobon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2018
I would create another user on that machine, log in, and surf the web using the same browser.

If it behaves normally then logic would dictate that there is something bungled in your regular user profile, either corrupted preferences or possibly a poor quality browser extension.

getrealbro

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
My mouse pointer frequently disappears after clicking on Text Edit in the dock, when the open dialog appears pointed at iCloud Drive. It is very annoying. But I can get the mouse pointer to reappear by clicking on the top menu area.

FWIW the mouse pointer only began disappearing after I turned on iCloud Drive. And remains visible at all other times.

GetRealBro

BotchQue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2019
are your pointer prefs the default prefs? (default pointer size...etc ...)
The only block I don't have checked under the Mouse preferences is "Dbl-click to get Mission Control", which I don't use. (I don't even see an option for Pointer Size...)
Sorry I haven't checked in sooner, Xmas is getting in the way. I'll give the other suggestions a try; thanks folks!

BotchQue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2019
Hmmm.
I went back into Preferences>Monitor, thinking this might be where "Pointer Size" was (this was before @junkw 's post, above). Didn't see anything, but then a "Pallette Debugger" (wish I'd written down the name) came up on its own, and said there may be something wrong with my User Profile (which @Erehy Dobon also mentioned, above). I clicked the Diagnose button, it said everything was okay, but after that I had to re-login to several sites, and it looked like my pointer was now steady.
Then I saw @junkw 's second post, went into "Accessibility" (where I've never poked around) and now my pointer is disappearing again. This is weird!
I'll keep futzing with it tonight, see what else might happen.

BotchQue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2019
Think I've solved my problem. About the time I last updated to Mojave, I also got a notification from Wacom that my Intuos tablet needed updating. I couldn't find the password at the time so I set it "aside". Today I had some additional time, found the password, logged in, updated, and it mentioned the "Accessibility" menu too (as @junkw mentioned). everything's working now. Since both the tablet and my mouse are physical input devices, I can kinda understand the interference.
Thought I'd post my fix, it might help someone else. Thanks Folks!

Reactions: junkw