Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CLOD-HOPPER

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2015
Hi, veterans. Recently, on a spare partition on my old iMac (which, normally, would be too old to install Mojave on), I installed Mojave, using a "workaround" app. It installed well, so far as I could see. However, though Adobe Photoshop does work in this new, experimental OS, there is some malfunctioning of the app. For example, if a rectangular marquee selection is made, it does not deselect immediately. Traces of the selection outline (the "marching ants") remain for a time, after commanding Deselect, and this can be confusing. There may be other faults also, which I haven't yet spotted. It occurs to me that this malfunctioning of Photoshop could be because the OS was not installed by an "official" installer (i.e the one from the App Store), and, for this reason, it may not be good in all respects.

When I buy a new iMac, I shall be compelled to buy one with Mojave installed (and it would not be possible to install High Sierra, which I am now using). This prospect worries me, because I could not do without Photoshop CS6 (I should not be willing to pay a never-ending fee, for the latest version).

Is there anyone on this forum that has found that Photoshop CS6 works perfectly on an official installation of Mojave?
With thanks in advance, to anyone that can give an answer from their own experience,
C.H.

Photoshopper

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Idaho
Works on my new mini, migrated from my old MP 5,2. However, when first launched it opened as the CC version (as did LR), saying I had xx days to enjoy my trial. Fortunately I had my serial #, and after logging that in, my stand-alone versions are working fine.

Reactions: crjackson2134

CLOD-HOPPER

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2015
Works on my new mini, migrated from my old MP 5,2. However, when first launched it opened as the CC version (as did LR), saying I had xx days to enjoy my trial. Fortunately I had my serial #, and after logging that in, my stand-alone versions are working fine.

Thanks for that, Photoshopper. I can now stop worrying about the day (it's not all that far away) when I will need to buy a new iMac. Besides, this knowledge influences what I need to do now, even before the new iMac arrives. It's a kind of long-term strategy.
C.H.

TomM1

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2017
One glitch I have found is, apparently Photoshop CS6, in Mohave, no longer recognizes Canon ColorSync profiles in the print dialog. I have acquired the Canon icc paper profiles for my printer and manually installed them in all the ColorSync folders I can find. But the profiles do not appear in Print>color management> printer profile. Other than that, PS seems fine. However, I am slowly changing over to Affinity Photo.

ArthurCrown

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2017
UK
There are some parts of CS6 which are 32bit and will eventually not work in a future (post-Mojave) OS.
I have had to disable Adobe's serial check, (which insists my CS6 is not genuine etc when I know damn fine it is).

CLOD-HOPPER

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2015
One glitch I have found is, apparently Photoshop CS6, in Mohave, no longer recognizes Canon ColorSync profiles in the print dialog. I have acquired the Canon icc paper profiles for my printer and manually installed them in all the ColorSync folders I can find. But the profiles do not appear in Print>color management> printer profile. Other than that, PS seems fine. However, I am slowly changing over to Affinity Photo.

Thanks for the info, TomM1. It's a bit above my head, but all information is useful. I shall save it.
C.H.
[doublepost=1549385078][/doublepost]
There are some parts of CS6 which are 32bit and will eventually not work in a future (post-Mojave) OS.
I have had to disable Adobe's serial check, (which insists my CS6 is not genuine etc when I know damn fine it is).

Arthur, I'm afraid I must be very green, despite using Photoshop for years (as a mere amateur). How would one disable the serial check?
C.H.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
I learned what "genuine" for Adobe means when the installation of my "genuinely" and honestly bought Photoshop Elements 15 was not allowed by Adobe since I had reinstalled it twice before and that was too much for the dear Adobe.
Now if i can find a way to "bypass" them I honestly confess I do it... and with good conscience!

ArthurCrown

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2017
UK
Thanks for the info, TomM1. It's a bit above my head, but all information is useful. I shall save it.
C.H.
[doublepost=1549385078][/doublepost]

Arthur, I'm afraid I must be very green, despite using Photoshop for years (as a mere amateur). How would one disable the serial check?
C.H.

"Delete the adobe genuine check and the message never appears again.
Here is the file location for MAC: Library > Application Support > Adobe > AdobeGCClient > AdobeGCClient > Contents > MacOS > AdobeGCClient"

It seems Adobe install it to trigger the warning. I was given this advice by the firm I bought the CS6 from; one of their other customers who had the licence cancelled suggested deleting the check. I also took out some orphaned files that were connected with it, discovered when using etrecheck.

And you'll find a lot of discussion on Adobe's forum.
I also used the 'chat' feature to discuss the problem with an Adobe agent. To no avail...

CLOD-HOPPER

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2015
Here is the file location for MAC: Library > Application Support > Adobe > AdobeGCClient > AdobeGCClient > Contents > MacOS > AdobeGCClient"

It seems Adobe install it to trigger the warning. I was given this advice by the firm I bought the CS6 from; one of their other customers who had the licence cancelled suggested deleting the check. I also took out some orphaned files that were connected with it, discovered when using etrecheck.

Thanks for that very useful information, Arthur. I shall investigate. I never have had any trouble, yet, with Adobe, but one can never be sure about the future!
C.H.
[doublepost=1549468534][/doublepost]
I learned what "genuine" for Adobe means when the installation of my "genuinely" and honestly bought Photoshop Elements 15 was not allowed by Adobe since I had reinstalled it twice before and that was too much for the dear Adobe.

Hi, Riwam. I don't know anything about Photoshop Elements, but it crossed my mind that Adobe may allow this to be installed on two computers, as they do with Photoshop. Now, if you already installed it twice, then tried to install it a third time, this may have triggered Adobe's ban. This is because, before re-installing Photoshop (at least) a third time, one of the first two installations must be "deactivated" (I think this option appears under "Help" in Photoshop). If you deactivate, it keeps Adobe sweet. Could this be what has happened with your Photoshop Elements app?
C.H.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland

I also used the 'chat' feature to discuss the problem with an Adobe agent. To no avail...
Thank you very much for that info. Little adding to your path: the second "Adobe GCClient" is an".app" and one must open the package to continue to "Contents".
Ed
[doublepost=1550343278][/doublepost]
Thanks for that very useful information, Arthur. I shall investigate. I never have had any trouble, yet, with Adobe, but one can never be sure about the future!
C.H.
[doublepost=1549468534][/doublepost]

Hi, Riwam. I don't know anything about Photoshop Elements, but it crossed my mind that Adobe may allow this to be installed on two computers, as they do with Photoshop. Now, if you already installed it twice, then tried to install it a third time, this may have triggered Adobe's ban. This is because, before re-installing Photoshop (at least) a third time, one of the first two installations must be "deactivated" (I think this option appears under "Help" in Photoshop). If you deactivate, it keeps Adobe sweet. Could this be what has happened with your Photoshop Elements app?
C.H.

Thank you very much for that info. However I do not see why I could not do whatever I want with something I bought for money. If it now belongs to me then I should be able to reinstall it how many times I wish. When you buy a Mac computer nobody says how many times you are allowed to erase its hard disk and reinstall the OS and in my opinion that is the right way to deal with customers.
Presently if I can avoid to buy in a legit way any of Adobe's applications (as I did in the past), I do not have any bad conscience.
What I do with what belongs to me should not be anybody's business and if the seller takes rights I do not agree to give him, then he is guilty by himself if people look for ways of bypassing him.
This is not only a problem with Adobe since other OS/software sellers grant themselves similar abusive rights regarding what they sell.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Hi,

I too have a fully licensed copy that I purchased some years back. I started getting the invalid copy notices as well, and I also removed the offending app.

However, I don't have any other machines with PS installed and it annoyed me to no end. Adobe tech support was no help at all. I removed CS6 and purchased Affinity Photo from the MAS. Granted it's different, and some of the functions I'm used to have to be located or improvised. Since I don't us PS for my bread/butter, I don't mine too much.

I'm done with Adobe for now. I hate the way Adobe / MS go about trying to enforce things on legit users. Both companies can Kiss My Grits...

Reactions: mikzn and Riwam

CLOD-HOPPER

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2015
However I do not see why I could not do whatever I want with something I bought for money.
Riwam: I can understand how you feel at being limited, after you have paid money. However, it must be pointed out that, if you buy an app, it is not your own property, at all. What you have bought is a licence to use the app, and nothing more than that. And the terms of the licence are what the makers and owners of the app lay down. In the case of Adobe Photoshop (at least), the terms of the licence are that it may be installed on two computers only. These things are a matter of fact, whether one likes them or not. Sorry!
C.H.

Photoshopper

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Idaho

I seem to have the same issue with my Epson printer. The profiles that show up in the print dialog are display profiles, not the Epson paper profiles. This could be a big problem for me when I want to print high quality on a specific paper.
If anyone can offer a tip, much appreciated.

CLOD-HOPPER

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2015
I seem to have the same issue with my Epson printer. The profiles that show up in the print dialog are display profiles, not the Epson paper profiles. This could be a big problem for me when I want to print high quality on a specific paper.

I hope I'm not talking out of my hat, here, but would it be of any help to download Apple's Epson printer software (not Epson's own). When I wanted to do my first print job in High Sierra (which was a new OS at the time, and never printed in by me, before), an alert came up, asking whether I wanted to download Apple's Canon printer software, which I did. They seem to have software for all of the major brands of printer. I hope this helps.
C.H.

Dc2006ster

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
I have a Canon MG7120 which only comes with a few profiles, the availability of which depends on whether I choose the printer or Photoshop for color handling. In the Photoshop Print Settings dialog box the profiles show in the Printer Profile dropdown menu if I select Photoshop Manages Colors for Color Handling. If, however, I have Printer Manages Colors those profiles are not available.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Riwam: I can understand how you feel at being limited, after you have paid money. However, it must be pointed out that, if you buy an app, it is not your own property, at all. What you have bought is a licence to use the app, and nothing more than that. And the terms of the licence are what the makers and owners of the app lay down. In the case of Adobe Photoshop (at least), the terms of the licence are that it may be installed on two computers only. These things are a matter of fact, whether one likes them or not. Sorry!
C.H.
I understand very well your point.
However the seller of any application requests an actual payment and one in advance not subject to any limitation. He can keep the money forever and do with it whatever he wants.
If the customer after the payment is limited in how to use the application, then the item for which he paid effective money never entirely belongs to him/her but remains property of the seller. It's somehow like a leasing business.
I (and many, many others) prefer to buy things instead of leasing them so they belong entirely to the buyer.
There have been important legal decisions in many countries in Europe limiting the rights that software makers try to impose upon customers, for instance not to allow them to resell bought software with the licence argument you mention and the buyers finally won.

Clodd1

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2019
I installed using Creative Cloud but I`ve found that the UI is low resolution and other cursor problems. So I installed 2015.5 and its working ok. 2019 sucks, too slow.

CLOD-HOPPER

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2015
There have been important legal decisions in many countries in Europe limiting the rights that software makers try to impose upon customers, for instance not to allow them to resell bought software with the licence argument you mention and the buyers finally won.

That's very interesting!
C.H.

TomM1

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2017
My temporary workaround is to transfer the image to be printed to my older laptop and print from there with CS6 and the correct paper profile. I have other applications to print from such as Affinity or ON1, I just have not tried it yet.

ArthurCrown

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2017
UK
Have a look at Adobe's forums and all the complaints about Adobe cancelling serial numbers or declaring them counterfeit.
It goes back some years and all they do is point you to the Cloud and offer a special discount.
I had CS6 running on two machines (as allowed), the second one being used to beta test Mojave. When I upgraded to the latest beta Adobe managed to chip in, Lord knows how, and turn my Photoshop into a demo version. Can't use it now.
But I have one copy left and will probably be ok as long as I don't upgrade Mojave itself any further.

In all the years I've had Photoshop (from version 4) I've enjoyed excellent service and help from Adobe; until now and this carry-on with the Cloud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.