Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

niikpalmer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2015
Hi folks, MacPro 5,1
Mojave 10.14.2
Saphirre Radeon Nitro RX 580 8gb
Bootcamp Windows 10 (efi I think, has EFI folder in windows folder)

(edit. I just installed BootRunner and it does show the bootcamp drive but when selected it say "cannot use selected drive due to security restrictions SIP see administrator" )

I've looked for answers to this on the web and can't find the same issue.
I had this system booting to windows and back (actually from windows I had to boot back into a USB Mojave instal, then back to my main mac boot drive)

Couple of days ago I tried to boot to windows and now in the startup select disk I set bootcamp and get a bless error.

Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 4.48.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 4.45.55 PM.png

with the 580 I of course can't get a boot screen, also with Mojave I can't now go back to a non metal graphics card to get a bootscreen (I sort of wish I never updated to metal!!).

PS. I have looked on Google and not found the info that can make this work again.

thanks for any/all help.

Last edited:

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Do an NVRAM reset and try again...

This happens to me sometimes (like today) and NVRAM reset always fixes it for me.

I’m sure someone else will jump in and elaborate on the technical details, but give it a try..

IF it is an EFI install, I don’t think this will help though... Also, I don’t think an EFI install shows up as BOOTCAMP in your Startup Disk settings, I think it just say EFI.

Last edited:
Reactions: handheldgames

niikpalmer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2015
I'm not quite sure that the NVRAM is resetting. I'm using command-option-p-r on a wired apple keyboard plugged direct into the Mac pro front USB with no other USB connected. But it doesn't feel like it's doing anything. I'm also trying pulling the power lead for 20, and holding in the power button for 20 till it does the long chime then reboots.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I'm not quite sure that the NVRAM is resetting. I'm using command-option-p-r on a wired apple keyboard plugged direct into the Mac pro front USB with no other USB connected. But it doesn't feel like it's doing anything. I'm also trying pulling the power lead for 20, and holding in the power button for 20 till it does the long chime then reboots.

Well, you should power on and immediately press and hold those keys. After SEVERAL seconds, you should hear the P.O.S.T. chime (bong). Keep holding the keys until it bongs 2 more times... it’s not instant, it takes a minute or two depending on the machine configuration.

After that, just let go of the keys so it can boot normally.

Then go to your startup disk settings and see if that corrected the problem...

This is with an Apple keyboard, I’m not sure about your keyboard however....

It may or may-not help, but it works for me.

Did you use any particular app that may have initiated this behavior right before you noticed? Perhaps backup software, whereby the bless command may have been invoked without your direct knowledge. If yes, PM me and I’ll clue you in on this.

Last edited:
Reactions: handheldgames

expede

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2018
Sweden
Try, in terminal!

sudo sh -c "bless -device /dev/disk1s2 -mount /Volumes/BOOTCAMP -setBoot -nextonly; shutdown -r now

/Per

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
I usually do the NVRAM reset TWICE .. keep holding the NVRAM reset keys down until you hear teh 2n.d chime. I've heard that some people swear by 4 times.

It can't hurt to try it.

The trick is to have at least your fingers already on P & R before you power on. Gotta be quick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.