Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matttime99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2018
I really don't like the sand dunes image when I start up/log in to my Mac.

Is there any way of getting rid of it or hiding it? I have a great desktop photo and I'd be happy to see this from the start, or even a black screen but not those depressing sand dunes.

I'd appreciate any help. (I tried to post on Apple's own forum but they won't let me post this message/content...which is odd)

Thanks

Matt

archvile

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007

Is there any way of getting rid of it or hiding it? I have a great desktop photo and I'd be happy to see this from the start, or even a black screen but not those depressing sand dunes.

I'd appreciate any help. (I tried to post on Apple's own forum but they won't let me post this message/content...which is odd)

Thanks

Matt

Turn off FileVault, then change the wallpaper, then turn FileVault back on (it should keep your custom wallpaper, at least it did on High Sierra).

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 12.42.14 PM.png
Mine shows the wallpaper that I have chosen.

I do not know why is it different for you.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
There's a bug that always displays this wallpaper when the system is booted. I've posted before on the topic of this bug: MacOS Mojave - Brief Black Screen after Login. There is currently nothing that can be done about it, Apple needs to patch it in the next update.

is it a bug? seems apple's done this with intent; black screen behind the apple, followed by the mojave image under login; once you select your name, you see your chosen wallpaper. at least, that's what happens on my 2 macs...

EDIT: i DON'T see the default mojave screen if i disable the guest user, so this seems to be a solution.

EDIT2: there's a reason to keep the guest user account active (from apple's support pages):
Guest access works with the Find My Mac feature of iCloud to help you find your Mac if you lose it

Reactions: artfossil

lolnyny

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2018

Thanks

Matt

Same problem here, I've seen plenty of people saying to change the "mojave.heic" file but it doesn't do anything... I'm trying to deactivate filevault, it'll take a couple of hours UGH. I'll see if I can fix it that way. But I don't want to have to deactivate and re-activate filevault EVERY time I change my wallpaper, because I do it A LOT.

UPDATE: removing and re-applying filevault works for me though I do think I'm going to be stuck with the image I took for now even if I change the wallpaper, at least it's much better than the dune. Anyways, many people have been having various problems with the lock screen, hope they fix this soon.

Last edited:

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Same problem here, I've seen plenty of people saying to change the "mojave.heic" file but it doesn't do anything... I'm trying to deactivate filevault, it'll take a couple of hours UGH. I'll see if I can fix it that way. But I don't want to have to deactivate and re-activate filevault EVERY time I change my wallpaper, because I do it A LOT.

i've never used filevault, and the mountain is stll there; during bootup, when some messages show up ('system wasn't shut down correctly")... etc. apple wants it there (i don't, sigh)....

Voenix Rising

macrumors member
May 1, 2013
This worked for me (although it reverted back to the dunes with the 10.14.1 update):

Select image that matches screen resolution (2560 x 1600 in the case of 13” MPB).
Copy that image into /Library/Desktop Pictures.
RENAME existing mojave.heic to mojave.heic.backup.
RENAME
the image file you created to mojave.heic.
Log out and verify that’s the new login screen.

Reactions: !!!

Mr Todhunter

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Third planet from the Sun
This worked for me (although it reverted back to the dunes with the 10.14.1 update):

Select image that matches screen resolution (2560 x 1600 in the case of 13” MPB).
Copy that image into /Library/Desktop Pictures.
RENAME existing mojave.heic to mojave.heic.backup.
RENAME
the image file you created to mojave.heic.
Log out and verify that’s the new login screen.
Works exactly as you said, I even deleted the mojave.heic which was more than 100mb big.

billharz

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2019
Works exactly as you said, I even deleted the mojave.heic which was more than 100mb big.
Thanks but after I have restarted the mac the original pictures is coming back. I have the latest version 10.14.3
How can we keep our chosen picture ?

Last edited:

webbga

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio
Thanks but after I have restarted the mac the original pictures is coming back. I have the latest version 10.14.3
How can we keep our chosen picture ?
I change desktop backgrounds periodically. I right click on the photo and select "Set Desktop Picture" and I have that photo until I change it. Occasionally, if i have to restart for a software update the photo will revert to the Mojave picture, but changing it back is quick and painless. Maybe I am not understanding the issue here, or maybe i have not encountered the same problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.