Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JDLang76

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2018
I have been using iMovie on High Sierra for years. I just upgraded my Mac Pro 5,1 to Mojave and half of my imovie projects have metallic sound, even when exported. I ruled out the speakers, the line out option, the version of imovie, and the OS copy. It did the same thing on a different Mac Pro 5,1 on a fresh install. Obviously, Mojave is not handling the audio correctly. Whats odd is if I transfer the project to Final Cut, the audio is normal there. Its really important that iMovie is functional for me though.

Can anyone offer any help? Ive googled and dont see a single post about wonky imovie sound inMojave.

EDIT - I figured out that any projects using AC3 6 channel audio are the culprits. Projects using AAC 2 channel are fine. So Mojave broke AC3 support in iMovie?

EDIT#2 - If I change the original media's extension from .mp4 to .m4v, it maigically outputs audio correctly. That solves future problems, but not for my existing projects.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.