Mojave PB on 5,1 and Nvidia GPU 8xx, 9xx, 10xx?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Susurs, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Susurs macrumors 6502a

Susurs

Anyone had any success trying to install 10.14 (PB) on 5,1 with Nvidia 8xx, 9xx, 10xx card in there?

Does the installer launches, starts to install?

I know there is no web driver to install afterwards, but can the system be upgraded?

Any differences/peculiarities with MVC cards?

Thank’s!

2. MisterAndrew macrumors 65816

MisterAndrew

It looks like Mojave only includes Nvidia drivers for Fermi and Kepler cards (NVDAGF100Hal.kext & NVDAGK100Hal.kext). So Maxwell and newer cards will not work until Nvidia releases a web driver, which will probably be this fall after the final public release. You could try modifying the latest web driver for High Sierra to install on Mojave, but I don't know if it would work.

3. Susurs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Susurs

But previous versions of macOS can be initially installed without web drivers for these cards. I mean, you install web driver afterwards...the system is just a bit ‘laggy’. And you can not install web driver prior to installing the 10.14 anyway...

What I want to know is whether 10.14 installer allow installation at all on 8xx, 9xx, 10xx?

4. MisterAndrew macrumors 65816

MisterAndrew

Yeah, but without a driver installed I don't know if it would boot because it can't tell if the card supports Metal which is a prerequisite. I think you should try it. :)

5. Susurs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Susurs

Mojave installer on my 5,1 with MVC 980 GTX reported that my GPU should have Metal support to proceed with the installation... Why...?

Well...Launching installation from terminal bypassed this... :)

Option to skip APFS does not work.

6. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

Three days after the Mojave release, still no compatible Web Driver from Nvidia. I'm not in any hurry to update to Mojave and lose a functional version of MacOS Server on the Mac Pro, but slightly worrisome nonetheless.