Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Something I ABSOLUTELY HATE about the Mojave photos app is they switched the behavior of the SPACE BAR and RETURN keys. Have to remap which didn’t work in an earlier beta. I am going to try again soon actually.
Wow, for real? I would be highly annoyed. Using the space bar to open a photo fully is tightly embedded in my brain, it'll take some adjustment.

Reactions: PowerBook-G5

am2am

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
I should look for feedback to let them know.

Lift & Stamp probably could be done and have some sort of Force Touch/Long Press or button to copy edits. [thinkng of when the app ports to iOS]

there is adjustments copy/past functionality in photos already, but its limited to only one photo at a time, you cannot paste to multiple photos

Mskys

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2018
without know anything about the Mojave version, it seems Photos still lacks Presets and the ability to Lift and Stamp adjustments that Aperture had/has.

I am still 'stuck' on Aperture.

Actually you can copy and paste adjustments in Photos for High Sierra (not sure about earlier). You have to be in the edit mode, but I use it all the time. I don't think it supports Presets though but half of what you want is there. :)
[doublepost=1537122462][/doublepost]
I'd like to know that too. It's infuriating trying to get a photo onto a second screen now, except by dragging the whole window there. You can't even drag the thumbnail onto Preview any more (although 'Copy' then New from clipboard works). I usually use an app called ScreenFloat but it would great to do the keyboard shortcut we did in Aperture which presented the selected image onto the 2nd display. Would be good for slideshows too.

I've also asked Apple to bring back star ratings, which is the most important workflow detail I miss from Aperture. Copy/paste effects would surely be simple to implement and they could just hide it in the menu and use the keyboard shortcuts from iWork.

I don't know why they can't just make these features optional if they want to keep the app as simple as possible for the new/average user. iMovie used to have two tiers of complexity and that was a good system.

You can copy/paste adjustments when you are in Edit mode.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
thanks for the Photos tips everyone. I still wish there was more advancement from Apple here.

Reactions: rotlex

timsutcliffe

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Can't quite believe Photos has basically been ignored. Mostly my frustrations are with naming faces which is a real pain the neck to do manually. And then the main screen for 'People', somehow you can't sort by name.

Reactions: nin4nin

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
I have been using Sierra up until now and I wish you could hide the sidebar in Photos.....to me it looks much cleaner without it

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
Something I ABSOLUTELY HATE about the Mojave photos app is they switched the behavior of the SPACE BAR and RETURN keys. Have to remap which didn’t work in an earlier beta. I am going to try again soon actually.
Wow, for real? I would be highly annoyed. Using the space bar to open a photo fully is tightly embedded in my brain, it'll take some adjustment.
This is driving me up the wall, is there any way to put this back to how it worked previously so that the space bar opens a photo?

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
Actually you can copy and paste adjustments in Photos for High Sierra (not sure about earlier). You have to be in the edit mode, but I use it all the time. I don't think it supports Presets though but half of what you want is there. :)
[doublepost=1537122462][/doublepost]

You can copy/paste adjustments when you are in Edit mode.

I hadn't realised this. What a shame you can't paste these to multiple images at the same time.

altayr2

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2013
Vilnius, EU

Yes! That was rude. The answer from here saved my life. In short:

Eric in Boca Oct 21, 2018 9:23 AM:

Go to preferences > keyboard > shortcuts > app shortcuts > Photos > and add a shortcut.
For Menu Title enter "Open Viewer" and for the keyboard shortcut press the spacebar whilst holding the Fn key.
Add another one for "Close Viewer".

Problem solved

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Yes! That was rude. The answer from here saved my life. In short:

Eric in Boca Oct 21, 2018 9:23 AM:

Go to preferences > keyboard > shortcuts > app shortcuts > Photos > and add a shortcut.
For Menu Title enter "Open Viewer" and for the keyboard shortcut press the spacebar whilst holding the Fn key.
Add another one for "Close Viewer".

Problem solved
Wow! That works a treat. However, every time you open the Photos application, and press Space, it doesn't work. You have to open the photo manually, but then afterwards, it works like the old behavior. Try it and you'll see what I mean.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.