Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
How stable is the update ? Good enough for a main machine ? Isn’t used anything to need a super stable build so I’m fine with a few bugs.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
So far on my 2017 13” MBP it’s running really smoothly for a beta. A couple bugs on the install (mouse and keyboard froze, required reboot), and the News app is crash, but everything else is great. No massive battery drain or other issues that you usually see on betas.

Of course individual results may vary, just make sure you do a full time machine backup if you run into any issues.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
So far on my 2017 13” MBP it’s running really smoothly for a beta. A couple bugs on the install (mouse and keyboard froze, required reboot), and the News app is crash, but everything else is great. No massive battery drain or other issues that you usually see on betas.

Of course individual results may vary, just make sure you do a full time machine backup if you run into any issues.

And how you do that? Never bothered since I store anything important on iCloud

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
You’ll need a flash drive or external hard drive to plug in and go to Settings-Time Machine and go through the steps to set up a backup using that flash drive or external hard drive. It’ll walk you through everything. Depending on how large your backup it is it could take a bit to complete (you should keep you computer plugged in while it runs).

One of the reasons you’ll want a time machine backup if you have to reinstall the OS computer is a time machine saves everything, settings and preferences, folder structures, everything, so it makes it way easier if you need to restore your computer (which can happen if you use betas).

EDIT: When picking your external drive to use, make sure it has at least as much space on it as what your computer says it is currently using. I.e. if your computer has 45gb or used space, you should use a flash drive or harddrive that is at least that size or larger.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
You’ll need a flash drive or external hard drive to plug in and go to Settings-Time Machine and go through the steps to set up a backup using that flash drive or external hard drive. It’ll walk you through everything. Depending on how large your backup it is it could take a bit to complete (you should keep you computer plugged in while it runs).

One of the reasons you’ll want a time machine backup if you have to reinstall the OS computer is a time machine saves everything, settings and preferences, folder structures, everything, so it makes it way easier if you need to restore your computer (which can happen if you use betas).

EDIT: When picking your external drive to use, make sure it has at least as much space on it as what your computer says it is currently using. I.e. if your computer has 45gb or used space, you should use a flash drive or harddrive that is at least that size or larger.

Well my options is to either Yolo it basically or don’t bother. Not investing this much into for a beta I guess.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Well my options is to either Yolo it basically or don’t bother. Not investing this much into for a beta I guess.
Lol, fair enough. If it were me personally, if you don’t have a time machine backup, I would just wait until the official release come out later, unless you feel like redoing all your settings if the beta messes up your machine. And it is worth noting that just because this beta works doesn’t mean public’s version 2 or 3 later has something seriously screwy with it.

If you’re feeling brave, try it out, so far it’s looking to be a great update!

Reactions: Closingracer

BenSCR

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
I've installed Mojave, but when when I put files in 'Trash' it's stopped making a sound when I delete them.

TitanTiger

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
I'm running it on a separate volume right now and it's really smooth, especially for a first public beta. I'm tempted to just throw it on my main volume and roll with it.

Makes me sad that my 2009 iMac isn't supported. That thing is running great since I replaced the original hard drive with an SSD. I know Mojave could run very well if Apple wasn't insisting on Metal-capable graphics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.