Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Just finished a successful install of this update on my MacPro4,1>5,1 Mojave HFS system.

Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 7.59.34 AM.png

Reactions: Peadogie and geo88

vfontjr

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2019
Raleigh, NC
It wouldn't install for me through Software Update on a 2019 iMac. Kept giving me ERROR_7E7AEE96CA and forcing me to restart. I downloaded the 2020-001 update installer directly from Apple and was able to install it manually.

tonyunreal

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2010
Well, it only brought me to the "an update is required to use this startup disk" death screen once, followed by 5 minutes of not being able to power up the machine, and finally to a stage where it would boot fine just not with an egpu attached. Perfect start of 2020 I see.

This is with the 2018 Mac mini btw.

update 20200207: resetting nvram fixed the egpu "boot to black screen" problem for me.

Last edited:

Peadogie

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2019
Georgia, USA
Installed on 2/1 with no issues.
Took about 45 minutes to download and install and consumed about 1 GB of disk space. I always download anything large (GB) from Apple EARLY (5:00 am EST) because their servers get progressively slower as the day goes on, as in slows to a crawl. ?

Last edited:

bfChris2

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2014
Virginia, USA
I installed this morning, and now I get lots of "This file is damaged and should be thrown into the Trash."

That's the message for a download of a new application from the developer's website.
It's also the message when I double-click the data file of my bookkeeping software Banktivity. (That'll make you sweat!) I keep many versions of that file, and I was able to open the application and then open the data file successfully.

Thus the issue seems to have to do with MacOS's mapping between documents and applications, perhaps?

I have TechTool Pro, but I'm not even sure which operation to run in there to fix what the Security Update seems to have broken.

[MacPro 2010, Mojave 10.14.6]

yukari

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2010
I noticed after updating Safari, it became VERY slow on start up.
sheesh.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
It refused to install in my Mojave HFS+ inner MacHD requesting an APFS volume.
I installed it in my APFS clone external drive and am cloning it back to my inner drive.
I hope it will make no problems.
Otherwise I will skip this security update since keeping my inner drive in HFS+ is much more important to me.

P.S. The installation worked through cloning to and back as described above and I did not found any problem afterwards.

Last edited:

YZFNYC

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2015
Palm Bay Florida
Installed this on a 2009 Firmware updated MacPro 4,1=>5,1 and got stuck on boot for over 12 hours on 02/01/2019 finally rebooted and wouldn't start up. PRAM reset with removal of all non-system drives got me back in two weeks later got prompted to install it again. =(

Anyone else? Might skip this update since I pan to migrate to 10.15 in a couple of weeks.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Installed this on a 2009 Firmware updated MacPro 4,1=>5,1 and got stuck on boot for over 12 hours on 02/01/2019 finally rebooted and wouldn't start up. PRAM reset with removal of all non-system drives got me back in two weeks later got prompted to install it again. =(

Anyone else? Might skip this update since I pan to migrate to 10.15 in a couple of weeks.
I managed to install it but first in an APFS clone as explained in my post. However it was a End 2013 MP and not your MP.
My humble advise: before going to 10.15 make a bootable clone of your present OS. You might be glad to be able to go back...

Reactions: madrich

madrich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
Updated this morning. One of the weirdest updates I observed by Apple. It took about 20-30 minutes with my display screen going blank and then the progress bar and then blank again. It finally restarted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.