Mojave slow to reboot and boot

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by jwolf6589, Oct 14, 2018.

1. jwolf6589, Oct 14, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2018

jwolf6589 macrumors 65816

jwolf6589

Mojave seems slower than Hi Sierra at rebooting and booting up. Anyone else experiencing this?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

I've addressed this before, but Mojave (and any other OS you run) is ALWAYS going to be slow to boot if you're still running from a platter-based hard drive.

Put an SSD in it, and things will change -- immediately.

3. jwolf6589, Oct 14, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2018

jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 65816

jwolf6589

Can’t afford one sorry.

4. Blu-ray1972 macrumors member

Blu-ray1972

I had the same issue. It was horribly slow and would take forever for me to open programs. After I discussed with Apple Help they advised me to create a new user ID with admin privileges and log into that ID to see if that was any better.

Once I did that and logged back into my regular user ID, all the slowness and lack of responsiveness was gone. I don’t know what sorcery happened but it made it better.

5. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

Shop around, look for sales. Prices for SSDs have come down considerably. And I believe your MacBook Pro is one of the easiest to access the original HHD and change it out.

6. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 65816

jwolf6589

Maybe when I get the money.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 14, 2018 ---
    Apps launch just as fast as Hi Sierra in my experience which for the most part is fine with the exception of MS office apps.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

"Can’t afford one sorry."

You can't afford $50?
    If that's the case, don't complain about the speed.
    You'll just have to put up with it.

8. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 65816

jwolf6589

512GB SSD will cost more than $50.

9. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

10. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 65816

jwolf6589

I need 512GB not 250GB! Oh for the love of the Gremlin I may buy one before years end. Just use my Credit Card. I just forked out 2K on it to fix my car so why not upgrade my computer?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 14, 2018 ---
    Best Buy has a San Disk SSD 512GB on sale for $89 and they claim it cost just $40 to do the SSD install. I would re-install everything from my time machine backup, but I bet I will have to re-install MS office apps. Unfortunately only some Best Buys are equipped to deal with Macs. I may do this one before the end of the year.

11. waquzy macrumors 6502a

waquzy

My MBP 2017 boots up and reboots definitely slower than was the case with HS.

It also has that annoying black screen thing when booting up...

12. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 65816

jwolf6589

So I am not the only one.

13. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

jwolf has posted here at MacRumors numerous times about "the slowness" of his MacBook Pro, and he always asks "how to speed it up".

I have replied every time with the correct answer:
    Put an SSD into it.
    Yet he won't do this.

Fearless prediction:
    In a few more weeks, he'll be back complaining about the same issue.
    So... guess I'll have to reply with the same answer!

14. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 65816

jwolf6589

You have missed the entire point. I am complaining that Mojave is a little slower at rebooting and booting than Hi Sierra. This has NOTHING TO DO with a SSD or HD.

15. XGO7 macrumors newbie

XGO7

I am having the same problem which is how I got here. I boot my mac up and there is a black screen for a solid 3 minutes until the actual apple logo comes up and starts loading my OS. I've tried everything and nothing works.

Also, my mac is running on an SSD. So I don't think its an actual 'speed' issue. I think its a bug in Mojave. Have tried all the help articles and their suggestions to no avail.

16. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 65816

jwolf6589

According to that one poster it’s a HDD issue and my problem because I lack a SSD.

17. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

Part of the problem may be that when you installed Mojave, it reformatted your hard drive to APFS. Spinning hard drives such as yours do not respond as well to APFS as do SSDs or the very fast PCIe drives that Apple uses. I believe your observation is correct. Keep your eye open for sales on SSDs especially from on line retailers such as B&H Photo in NY. Black Friday is next month (this year it falls on November 23d) and that's when many of the great prices are announced. Good luck. :)

18. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 65816

jwolf6589

If this is true then why does Apple still sell iMacs with HDD's?

19. crjackson2134 macrumors 68040

crjackson2134

Slightly slower on an older machine,
    that wasn’t designed for this OS...

500082C1-4C8F-40FE-AD07-3FF0B1517EF6.gif

20. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

Because they want to give people options, and sometimes that comes with compromises. However the majority of Macs that Apple sells today does come with SSDs.

It IS true that since maybe Yosemite, the OS has been more and more demanding and more optimized for SSDs tan HDDs.

I have an OS backup on a regular HDD and I couldn't even think doing my daily work on this thing, HDDs are incredibly slow for modern OSes. Even on my 5,1 cMP, which is still a pretty fast machine, running the OS on a HDD would be painful.

Get yourself a SSD as soon as you can because macOS is never going to get faster on HDDs. Trust me it will almost feel like a new computer.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 16, 2018 ---
    That's a different issue. Since the apparition of APFS (so since High Sierra), the OS is taking more time to boot because (from what I read) trim jobs are being done during the boot sequence no matter what, which slows down the whole process. Not all SSDs are affected for some reason. So it's not "slower", it's just doing more stuff than before during boot and it takes more time to do so. Could Apple have done things differently? Maybe but that's how it is. Mojave does the same, but I actually find it a little faster than High Sierra. Besides that, Mojave *is* faster than High Sierra, great upgrade so far.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 16, 2018 ---
    Well yes it probably does.

21. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 65816

jwolf6589

My Mac is supported

22. crjackson2134, Oct 16, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2018

crjackson2134 macrumors 68040

crjackson2134

That doesn't make it designed for the newer OS. It's only legacy support. Mojave is not designed specifically with your tech. in mind.

You can't expect "Today" performance, from "Yesterday" tech. It's just a fact.

23. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

If I didn't have an SSD in my Mac Pro, a new pair of CPUs and a Metal-compatible GPU, I think I would still be running Mavericks. When the GUI went flat that's when HDDs began to suffer. If you want a "smooth" OS on a 2012 machine in 2018, you have to go with an SSD. Day and night difference.

"Supported" doesn't mean much. It's like when you try to play a game on a machine that barely meets the minimum requirements. It works, but it's sluggish and frustrating. What are the specs of your 2012 MBP? CPU, HD speed?

24. XGO7 macrumors newbie

XGO7

[​IMG]

These are my iMac specs and I still get that black screen for about 3 minutes on start up. Once the apple logo comes up and starts loading the actual OS it goes super fast (like it did before the update).

I honestly do believe its just a bug that apple will eventually fix in one of the next updates.

Also, the OS is super fast once its all loaded up. No problems there at all. Just on start up.

25. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

3 minutes is definitely not normal and the fact that it goes black seems strange.

But we don't know if OP is experiencing the same symptoms except that it "seems slower". First thing I'd do would be to boot with verbose.