Mojave upgrade good idea for new Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nph, Apr 22, 2019.

1. nph macrumors 6502a

I just got my wife the new Rose gold Macbook (2017) and she loves the size. It came with High Sierra so I upgraded to latest version of it and it works great. However would Mojave make sense?
    Does it improve or slow down the Macbook?
    Unless there is a big negative impact from Mojave I will probably upgrade to have the latest version.

2. mikzn macrumors 65816

mikzn

My experience with upgrading the Mojave has been very positive - just as fast, performs just as well as high sierra even on my 2012 MacBook Pro as well as my 2015 MacBook Pro - I definitely prefer it to high Sierra

I haven’t seen any downsides or negative issues - Plus there are some new features that are interesting such as dark mode, voice memo synchronization with iPhone and iPad etc.

Would be a good idea to do a back up with something like carbon copy cloner before you do the update

Here is the link to the update info and new features

3. AudiHeel macrumors newbie

AudiHeel

I just bought an open box gold 2017 MacBook from Best Buy. It's in mint condition and has Mojave installed. Seems to run perfectly.

4. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

No significant slowdown with Mojave that I've noticed on my 2017 Core m3 16 GB 12" MacBook.

I'd recommend the upgrade. There are some quite nice features in Mojave.

(The biggest negative in Mojave is that they've turned off subpixel rendering, but that has no impact on the 12" MacBook, as it only looks worse on non-Retina screens. Fortunately, for those non-Retina Macs, you can turn subpixel rendering back on with a terminal command.)

5. mj_ macrumors 6502

mj_

There are still plenty of major bugs in Mojave despite the fact that we are already on the fifth iteration (10.14.4). The general concensus used to be to wait for the .2 to give Apple enough time to iron out the major kinks but now it seems that they not only don't fix existing bugs but also add new ones with each release.

Personally, I am not going to touch 10.14 ever again, and am also quite possibly going to stay away from 10.15 until High Sierra is no longer supported. None of Mojave's features are even remotely interesting to me, and I found myself kicked in the balls repeatedly by some of Apple's stupid design decisions. Like the one where they decided to move the file information in the right-most pane of the Finder to the bottom below the new Quick Actions that - surprise, surprise - cannot be disabled.

Basically, it's up to you. You might not be affected by any of the dealbreakers (multiple Gmail accounts no longer supported, external FileVault-encrypted drives no longer work, some external drives refuse to mount occasionally, iMacs tend to suffer from regular sleep-wake-failures, Quick Actions in the way, nonstop pop-ups from applications asking for access tp the most basic features of macOS because those now require individual permission, etc.) and might enjoy some of Mojave's features, like dark mode, quick actions or dynamic backgrounds.