Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CLS7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2016
Malmoe, Sweden
Can someone please, who's using Mac OS Catalina and have used Mojave before, tell me if it is worth to upgrading from Mojave to Catalina when it comes to performance between those two OS?

I'm not interested in those new built-in features in Catalina but are more interested to have a better secured OS and of course having better performance.

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
No performance boost, at least not for my MBP 15inch 2018.
It does consume more battery at least after 1 day of usage.

I am using my MBP plugged most of the time but if I would have a choice to go back to Mojave, I would.

Some devs need to update their apps properly and the OS needs a few tweaking.
For example CLion is having issues with running code on Debugger - you gotta workaround because of some OS Security.

If you talk about performance as in render times for FCP or Photoshop... well... I haven't notice anything spectacular.

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017
Catalina is about 10% faster in general on a newer Mac. This is to be expected. For older machines, the opposite could very well be true, as optimizations are not targeted at legacy ware.

Reactions: Super Spartan1

project_2501

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2017
Catalina is about 10% faster in general on a newer Mac. This is to be expected. For older machines, the opposite could very well be true, as optimizations are not targeted at legacy ware.

hi - is this subjective or are there tests / benchmarks you are referring to?

Claudia P

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2016
I'm using it on a late 2015 27" iMac and I notice a definite improvement in speed. I also like the idea that the system files are read only and the data files are in a separate partition. This seems like it would be much more secure.

h4lp m3

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
New Orleans
In general...

When you upgrade your OS...

There will almost ALWAYS be noticeable performance boosts in some categories...

However, this is temporary.
Old caches have been cleared out, sometimes completely eliminated... But as the ones grow and become populated, your performance gradually declines.

That said: Comparing benchmarks from just before the upgrade and immediately after the upgrade are simply not an accurate measurement of performance.​
Bottom line: You can realistically gain performance increases in Catalina of 5%-15% over Mojave if you optimize your settings, especially pertaining to old 32-bit libraries and of course... have the right hardware.​
  • Notebooks: 2018 MacBookPro15,3 (Vega), 2019 MacBookPro16,1 and higher
  • Desktops: 2017 iMac18,3 (4.2 i7), Macmini8,1 (3.2 i7) or iMac Pro (any model) or higher
  • 32GB RAM+
  • Nothing less than a Core i7
Needless to say, if you have that kind of hardware, you might as well make the jump to Big Sir. I've managed to tweak Big Sir to get some seriously BIG GAINS!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.