Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fcis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2020
I wonder what are the major benefits of upgrading Mac Pro 5.1 to Mojave from High Sierra? Also any problems once updated to Mojave? as I read that problems will happen with Bluetooth and Wifi and Airdrop...

Chips Stephens

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2020
I run both, and windows 10, Mojave benchmarks slightly better.
Both are mature and solid versions of OS X.

I have a up graded WiFi And blue tooth card, no issues once properly set up with air drop, or Apple Watch unlock.
The stock WiFi card never did support continuity..

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
I have a silly issue in Mojave between Mission Control and the dock being set to auto hide where it pops up and stays visible when I switch to a new space. Triggers me every time. Always some screw up hidden in every new release.

Benefit is probably mostly dark mode if you are into that, also that APFS stuff supposedly got more mature. But between Sierra, High Sierra and this I don't see obvious benefits.

EBfto.jpg

torvan

macrumors member
You know, I put a RX580 in my 5,1. Updated the bootrom to 14. Upgraded El Cap to Mojave which took my HFS+ drive to APFS, then promptly would not let me create a BootCamp partition to install Windows (even though I would point it to another physical drive) telling me that BootCamp was not available. Apple's support site said it was not going to be possible on the 5,1 and that I needed a 7,1 for it.

So I spent some time thinking about it, and returned to El Capitan, and created the BootCamp drive. It is installing Windows 7 now (and no, it will not be online). Maybe then I will return to Mojave.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
I always have TWO Samsung M.2 blades in my 4,1>5,1.

One 250gb 970 EVO is APFS formatted an acts as my backup.

Whenever there is a Mojave Security update I install it to this blade.

=================

I then run this 970 EVO APFS formatted blade for a couple of days to check for issues.

If there are no issues . . .

I then CLONE ( Carbon Copy Cloner ) this 970 EVO to my 500gb Samsung 970 EVO Plus normal boot drive which is HFS+ formatted.

I regularly CLONE back to the APFS formatted backup blade - every few days,

Absolutely no problems at all.

My Mojave 10.14.6 build is 18G5033 currently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.