Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssls6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
I have a Mac PRo 5,1 and I'm running 10.13.6 with a real mac edition 680. I recently updated to the 168 boot rom just to ensure everything works OK. So far, all is working well including my Windows 7 bootcamp. I can still use the boot picker to get back into High Sierra just fine.

So, is there any reason to go ahead and install Mojave? Anything to gain (other than dark mode which I would enjoy) or anything to lose? I know a lot of the Mojave features don't really apply to my mac.

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
You would lose use of FileVault drive encryption and use of the Boot Camp Assistant (for no good reason either, as your mac edition 680 is perfectly compatible with those features. Apple just chose the easy route of disabling them for all cMPs in Mojave). Losing Boot Camp Assistant is no big deal, as it's better to install Windows manually anyway.

Course if you don't use either feature now and don't intend to use them in the future then you lose nothing by upgrading to Mojave. I'd say if dark mode is something you would enjoy, you should install it. It seems relatively bug-free to me (at least nothing major).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.