"Molar Mac"

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bunnspecial, Sep 24, 2015.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I'm extremely excited to report that I've just made a deal on a G3 all-in-one, AKA the "Molar Mac."

Besides being fascinating and somewhat scarce computers, this is also the only remaining G3 desktop I do not own.

A full report will be forthcoming once I have it in hand(i.e. drive up get it-I'm not having it shipped!). I've dealt with the guy before and usually end up buying a lot from him when I go, so we'll see where I end up. I already know there's an LC and 13" Trinitron in the deal also, and likely some miscellaneous OWR parts(the guy told me I could have them all since this is his last OWR system).

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Congratulations! :D

You know though, one of these days (should you ever sell your collection) you'll be that eBay guy with the pictures of the massive Apple collection. :D

3. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I was thinking about that the other day :)

4. RedCroissant Suspended

That's awesome!!! Please post some pictures when you get a chance because I love those machines. I don't know what it is either but that's one of my other favorites as far as Macs go.

5. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

i remember being a kid, watching that show called Double Dare 2000, and this was one of the prizes. Right away it struck me and i think the design i sly, stating it wants to get work done but in a cool looking way. And each time someone mentions it i remember the announcement on the show.

6. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I'm buying an MG next week also(hopefully).

I'll have to venture up into Indiana to buy it, although this guy is further away. I'm wondering if I can combine the two trips into one. I'd be very interested to see if I can fit the Molar Mac and all the other stuff in the MG :) . That's also assuming I actually want to take a chance on driving the MG that far :) .

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Take your smoking jacket, a pipe and your driving hat and strap the Mac to the rack on the trunk!

You'll look totally cool at least! :D

8. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I have none of those, although the MG does have a luggage rack :)

Not a half bad idea...it's better than letting the MM ride shotgun and putting all the other stuff I'm going to be getting on the parcel shelf behind the seat.

BTW, amazingly enough I'm 6'2" tall and I have to crank the seat forward some(from its all the way back position) to be able to drive it comfortably.

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

10. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

And Once im done with it with it it will be running 10.5.8 Leopard :p assuming ben wants it to run Leopard...(I Love the Molar mac altho acquiring one in the UK will mean importing one from the US Oh joy...) I have only seen one picture of a Molar Mac running OS X let alone one running leopard so it will be interesting to see it running Leopard on all its Beigy glory :p

11. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Supposedly it already has 10.2.8 installed-that will quickly be fixed!

12. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I'm happy to report that the computer is now sitting in the backseat of my car. Unfortunately, between the remnants of hurricane Patricia and my having just spent 5 hours in the car, it's staying there until tomorrow.

There are some other exciting goodies that merit their own report...suffice to say the trip was worth it.

13. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Here is a "teaser' shot. The computer has Jaguar(10.2.8) installed, although I haven't booted into it yet. When it comes open, it's getting a LOT more RAM, hopefully at least a faster G3(unless I can turn up a G4 not in use) and possibly a "Wings" card(there's currently no sound, and if the personality card ends up being dead I'd rather replace it with a Wings card) rather than the Whisper.

The CRT looks great at 1024x768. I need to use Xpostfacto to get it up to 10.4.11. I have quite a plethora of Sonnet ATA/133 cards, and if I have space I might another HDD drive in it or run the main drive off this. I'll have to make a difficult decision as to whether I want to use one of my Sonnet USB/FW combo cards or if I want to just put a plain USB card in it.

BTW, I mentioned that this was a good haul. The person I bought this from had parted out a bunch of OWR PPC machines over the years and saved a bunch of "good" parts. Among them were several Newertech, Sonnet, and other brand CPU cards-primarily for x500 and x600 Macs. There was a "slocket" along with some high speed 604s pulled from computers(notably a 250mhz and 350mhz). There were also some ZIFs(all G3s that I found) and a Gigadesigns single 1.53ghz 7455-based CPU. This should be a good processor, and it appears to have been made with a lot more care than the dual 1.8 I have-the heatsink is well finished, has dual fans, and overall just looks good although it has the same jumpers and DIPs of other Gigas I've had. Being a 7455, it should be plug and play.

In addition, there were boxes and boxes of beige case parts, including virtually every conceivable type of drive bezel for towers of this era. There were drive cages and sleds for both OWR machines and and G3 beige machines, along with B&W, graphite G4, and Quicksilver case parts. I stopped counting how many complete G3/G4 ODD cages with both optical and ZIP drives still in them. There was a box stuffed full of 168 pin RAM that is correct for the x600 series machines.

There were bunches of KBs-I think I cleaned him out on all the AEKIIs last time, but there were several Appledesign boards, a few of the "compact" KBs in both styles(you can see one hooked up to the AIO) and even a few with the recessed key caps like I need for my IIgs. The only ADB KBs I'm now missing are the Extended I and the ergonomic.

Some of the expansion cards were interesting. I mentioned the ATA cards, but also got a couple of SCSI cards(including some "jackhammer" cards) and SCSI peripherals-notably a CD-ROM drive that should work with anything back to a Macintosh Plus. There are still some PSU for beige computers(including one for an 8600/9600) in the back of my car. There was an oddball video card that was apparently a BTO option for the 9600-it's the same card but has both DB-15 and VGA-and probably most notably for a mid-90s card-can output to two displays.

There's a IIe emulation card, along with the requisite "pigtail" adapter to allow a 5 1/4" drive to be connected(as far as I know the only way to connect a 5 1/4" drive to a Macintosh). I need to look at the LC-I suspect it might have an addition one in it as I found a spare "pigtail."

I'm honestly still so overwhelmed by this stuff that I haven't done much more than give a cursory exam of what's there despite the fact that I've nearly broken my neck on it a few times. The above is just an overview.

I should also mention that this whole trip was precipitated by a request on the LEM swap for a 6" SCSI cable for my IIci. I'd dealt with this guy in the past(my 8600, 7350, and a couple of G3 minitowers were my last purchase, along with the aforementioned AEKIIs). I wanted to buy enough from him to make the ~2 hour trip worthwhile, and I think I did.

Also, I should mention that the whole mess cost me $200...

Attached Files:

14. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

thats a Very Nice haul especially for $200, the 1.53Ghz G4 upgrade on its own can sell for that much not to mention the Beige G3 AIO being worth even more, im totally not Jealous of you :D I love the G3 beige AIO heh cant wait to see some more pictures of it heh