Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
I received a free aluminum MacBook today from someone who had killed it by spilling water on it. The notebook's in pretty rough shape as it is-- chips, dings, scratches, scuffs, you name it, it's there. But even so, I was not at all prepared for what I saw when I popped the bottom off. About half the logic board was covered in mold. Apparently he didn't even bother to open it up and dry it out after the spill. So now I'm at a loss as to how to remove the stuff. I dunno if bleach would ruin the logic board even more? Perhaps baking soda and an old tooth brush would do the trick? Really have no idea. Worst case scenario I remove the display and sell it (the glass is the only part of the computer that's intact it seems) and toss the whole lower half. But that would kind of suck.

87am

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
It's gone. Water + Logic board does not equal mold. There must be something else funky going on there.

stevenlangley1

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
alcohol and a toothbrush is what I would use. I don't know if removing the mold will help though. Good luck.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
maybe you will find an old sandwich in there

Considering the condition of the computer, it wouldn't surprise me :rolleyes:

I'll probably put on a mask, take it apart, scrub it with alcohol, and who knows, maybe it'll power on. If not, eh, it was free (well it was $13 if you count the tolls to get from Queens to the Bronx :D).

Mutinygraphiks

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Considering the condition of the computer, it wouldn't surprise me :rolleyes:

I'll probably put on a mask, take it apart, scrub it with alcohol, and who knows, maybe it'll power on. If not, eh, it was free (well it was $13 if you count the tolls to get from Queens to the Bronx :D).

its salvageable, screen is possibly still good, if it came with a charger thats still good, battery might still be ok depending, screws, and other accessories are sellable. you could easily turn free into profit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.