Molex power connectors

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jbarley, May 25, 2015.

1. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Long ago I came to the conclusion that whoever designed the Molex connector must have been a sadist.
    I have yet to find one that comes apart easily, it's more likely I'll split a finger nail or end up with a bad scratch on my hand, maybe even some blood loss.:(
    Anyone know of an easy solution to disconnecting these ##$$& things?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They're designed to be held in with friction. There really isn't a good way to disconnect them. A lovely holdout from the 1960's or 1970's.

3. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I've found "rocking" them out to be probably the least stressful way of removing one.

They are tough to handle, but at least they are sturdy.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yep. It's one of the few things Apple borrowed from the PC and never redesigned.

Been dealing with that since 1990. The real stuck ones are always curse-inducing because you can pull too hard and rip the wires themselves out and not the connector itself.

I've done that once or twice.

P.S. The FireGL X3 I sent you requires Molex power. There is a cable included. However, that particular connector is one of the few I've found over the years that works fairly smoothly so it's shouldn't be too bad of an issue. All three ends of the connector are colored purple.

----------

Yeah, this is one of the better ways. Work it from one side then the other. Pull a little on the first side then switch and so on until it comes off.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac