Molex power PMG5?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by xtempo, Jul 19, 2014.

1. xtempo macrumors 6502

xtempo

I am having trouble with the molex for the DVD drive which does not work but the power button on the monitor and main case flashes.

I have tried using it with the HDs and also a splitter with both HDs and DVD drive but it will not boot.

Can this cable go bad or is it loose?

The power was working earlier today with the HDs and I could access them.
    I used the splitter for powering everything but it never worked and taken it out made nothing workable.

I had this working with a splitter awhile ago but the splitter came apart so I had to buy another one.

any ideas?

Is this system going bad or something?

2. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Sounds like either your RAM DIMMs have gone bad or the BGA connector for the memory controller on the backside of the logic board is becoming disconnected from the main board. Will the board POST? In other words, does it make the start up chime at all? If not, you really have one of two options; one replace the board, or two bake the board in oven. There are multiple guides (both video and text) online on how to do this, just search "Power Mac G5 Memory Controller Reflow". Just know that this can cause further damage to the board and should only be attempted as a last resort.

3. xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

it can post. now the SATA card is not seen and the dvd drive shows not connected even though it is.

Something is faulty but I guess I can live with it until I purchase a later PMG5 model. If I really need the drives I can probably install it in the quicksilver g4 and transfer files either by firewire or the network.