Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrcalabash

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
Molly Wood, CNET columnist on the state of Android, says it's a mess. Fragmented among a multitude of devices that are running a multitude of Android OS versions. Updates are slow to arrive and on no consistent schedule among devices and carriers. Because of this, for example, the Android Netflix app is only now appearing and only on a few devices--plus there was a Netflix trojan that arrived too.

In sum, life with Android has been an uncertain, buggy, frustrating mess.

There are times when I truly doubt Google's commitment to the whole enterprise, despite its burgeoning market share. The proposed Motorola Mobility acquisition throws even more questions into the mix: will other hardware partners abandon Android in favor of a more trustworthy bedfellow? If so, I'm unquestionably out: Motorola hardware fails fast and hard, although it's not quite as awful as the crapware-laden Samsung Fascinate Verizon foisted on me--the only phone I did root, just to escape having Bing as my default search.

Perhaps Ice Cream Sandwich will be all that we hope: the peacemaker, the great uniter, the forger of a New Deal between handset makers and Google. The Galaxy Nexus could prove to be the perfect phone, with a fully integrated suite of amazing Google services working in harmony and delivering on the promise that Google made back in 2007. But let's be clear: it will have to be exactly that.

As I said, the iPhone 4S gave Android an unexpected break: before that announcement, fully 42 percent were prepared to switch to an iPhone. Those numbers may be lower in the wake of the lack of 4G, the still-small screen, and the fact that Vlingo does a lot of what Siri promises. But the break is likely to be short unless Google can put some serious muscle behind bringing the platform up to prime time. Me, personally, I'm still keeping the credit card ready for the iPhone 5, just in case.​

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31322_3-2...is-is-your-last-chance/?tag=TOCcarouselMain.0

Perhaps there's something to this walled garden approach, after all.

Last edited:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Well, it's just one person's opinion. Sure it's a mess compared to iOS, but having the freedom of choice comes at a cost.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
Perhaps there's something to this walled garden approach, after all.

I would say its a company once again not truly understanding their users and target market.

Recent Examples: Wave, Google+, GO Language.

Well, it's just one person's opinion. Sure it's a mess compared to iOS, but having the freedom of choice comes at a cost.

Poppycock. Open and "Free" does not translate to *****. Android is a mess because of Google's lack of strong leadership.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Google+ is pretty good. I use it often and think it's certainly better than Facebook.

As for Android, meh. WP7 will soon start to eat into it's marketshare.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
While I only use Apple products, OSX and iOS I will admit a similar chastising article detailing the restrictions and even shortcomings of iOS could be written (and probably has)

The approaches are different, not better
And each user is free to determine which model best meets their needs
For me, that is iOS, but I realize my choice isn't for everyone

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009
I think Android is great in many aspects, and has a lot of potential, but Google does need to reign it in a little to make the user experience improve across different models and manufacturers.

Like Mr. Dawg said, the approach is just different, not necessarily better.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Poppycock. Open and "Free" does not translate to *****. Android is a mess because of Google's lack of strong leadership.

So, should Google act like a dictator instead? Make very strict hardware requirements etc? If you buy a poorly supported China phone, then you probably won't get good support. Then again, if you buy e.g. HTC or Samsung, the newest OS is most likely available too, as shown by the graphs in the article.

Dawg said it perfectly, the approach is just different. Not everyone likes it, but the same applies to iOS.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
the Android Netflix app is only now appearing and only on a few devices

Uh ?

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.netflix.mediaclient&feature=search_result

Get Netflix on all Android 2.2 and 2.3 devices.
Just download this free app and you can instantly watch TV shows & movies streaming from Netflix.

Again... uh ?

EDIT : just to drive the point home :

chart

Uh ?

mrcalabash

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
After years of messing with PCs--I'm the de facto network administator, and IT support for my family with five computers plus--when it came to my smartphone, I decided I didn't want to bring the same headaches to my wireless world. I'm sticking with windows for computers--more hardware bang for the buck and much greater software library--but I'm happy for something in my phone that just works.

I read a comment elsewhere from someone who is a serious IT person, but goes IOS for his phones. He said "I don't want to bring my work home."

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I read a comment elsewhere from someone who is a serious IT person, but goes IOS for his phones. He said "I don't want to bring my work home."

You don't have to mess with Android if you don't want to. Just like you can mess around with Jailbreaking/Cydia and customizing iOS if you do want to (just not in a sanctionned way like you can with Android customization). So that comment really doesn't make sense either way.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
Freedom of choice should allow me to pick up any eligible Android phone and run the stock Android on it.

I'm not sure but I think the only phone that runs stock Android is the Nexus.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Freedom of choice isn't all that great when you're picking among the lesser of several bad choices.

You might have "freedom of choice" but what exactly are your available choices?

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
Freedom of choice isn't all that great when you're picking among the lesser of several bad choices.

I don't think its possible to touch a piece of equipment without China being involved somehow.

I used to go out of my way when building custom computers to get parts from Taiwan. ****, that was only 2 years ago.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

I will call that so called IT person an idiot and is incompetent because clearly he does not know his information.

As Knight pointed out you do not have to mess around on Android. Hell you do not even need to root your phone unless you want access to things that even in iOS you do not have access to.

Is my android phone rooted yes what do I gain by being rooted
1. Wifi tethering with non contract approval (oh look same with iOS)
2. Adblocking - I am not sure you can even do this on iOS even with jail breaking
3. Removing some stock apps - same with iOS
4. Titanium back up - The only one that I even can remotly give to iOS stock and even then Titanium back up is by far more powerful.

1 and 2 are the real reason I am rooted. 3 and 4 are pure bonuses.

Very few people run custom Roms. Heck you can just run what ever launcher you want on your phone. Even among the people who run stock android most of them are running one of the custom launchers.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
In A Perfect World

Android, Windows Phone 7, RIM, and all others except iOS, would all go out of business on the same day. Leaving only iOS as the King. The Ultimate.

Imagine the panic from Apple & it's worshipers, as they came to the realization there's no one left to blame, to unleash their anger on, to point the finger at to pump up their egos.

What a frightening day that would be. :)

(relax, it's just a joke)

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011

You'll be better off sticking with Apple. They know what's best for you. Heaven forbid you even look at something else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.