Molskine

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Changen, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Changen macrumors member

Does anyone in here use Moleskine notebooks? I've heard nothing but good things about them and was curious if anyone uses them seeing how were in a digital age now. Also I've seen a lot of diy mods on them. What do you guys use them for or what have your experiences been with them

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I've used the travel Moleskins (Beijing and Hong Kong) on our visits to China.

Kept sort of a travel log and it was kind of nice to have maps and a bit of info in the same note book (though with iPhones with misc. travel apps, and since we rarely used the maps for note taking, I could probably just as well had an ordinary moleskin to log our trip(s), and will probably just get a regular one do that on our next (longer) trip).

I like the format of the moleskins and (when traveling without computer) I prefer taking notes the old way, with a pencil in a notebook.

3. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

I discovered these wonderful, classic notebooks about four years ago. The high quality of materials and assembly is very satisfying.

My usage ranges from misc note taking when I wish to take a break from my laptop, to casual sketching for fun and relaxation.

A great web site to see the many ways others use theirs is to search Flickr using the keyword moleskine. There you will find a fascinating array of examples.

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I recently bought my first Molskine:

Last month I spent a week in Hawaii studying Kilauea (plus surrounding volcanoes), and I brought a pocket-sized black, ruled Molskine as my travel journal (unfortunately they don't offer a travel journal for Hawaii).

They appear to be of relatively high quality, but not especially durable in my opinion; while it served its purpose as a travel journal well, it wouldn't make a good field notebook (certainly not a replacement for my 'Rite in the Rain'). Also, the paper is relatively thin, so don't expect to write on both sides of each sheet, although I suppose you could. I really like the back pocket... was a handy place to keep a spare credit card and cash, should my wallet have disappeared.

At first I was concerned that the pocket notebooks were too small, and the large notebooks too large, but the pocket size was actually perfect.

Overall, I really like my first Molskine. Was it worth the $10 on Amazon? Probably not, but I'm rather a sucker for such things. :eek: Yes, I'll buy another when the time comes. :)

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Moleskines are pretty average, but very expensive. They would be worth it if the paper was of better quality. Instead, you get average paper, and you pay out the nose for it.

EDIT TO ADD: Like EricNau, I'm a sucker for these things too. :eek:

I use a different brand with the exact same black design (including inner pocket). The paper quality is the same as a Moleskine's (i.e. average/ordinary), but it's half the price, so I don't mind.

I also have two A4 sized versions, and a smaller A5 one, and they all cost 3x less than the Moleskine version. ;) I think the company is named "Piccadilly".

There are several other companies that also offer notebooks at these cheaper prices, and in different colours (brown and navy look awesome!!), but I'll wait until I run out of pages of my current batch. ;)

6. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

It depends on the kind of Moleskine you buy - they offer several different types of paper. I always buy the heavier stock.

I have two, both the small pocket size, and I love them. They're perfect for doodling or messing around. Plus, they feel nice in your hand. :)

7. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Just don't believe anyone or anything that says the notebooks were used by Hemingway and Picasso and the like. It's all just made up for marketing purposes ;)

8. Kyffin macrumors 6502

Love 'em- the notebooks aren't all that but the Cahier Journals are just the best, and the paper's particularly good if you write with proper ink (won't spider-leg on you).

9. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

I love my Moleskin. As an artist and designer, there are just some things that the iPhone I'm typing this post on cannot do as well as the old fashion methods. And sometimes my laptop isn't with me.

I use it for quick notes, sketches, plans, and things that would be a pain to do on a handheld digital device. If you are in a hurry, a little pocket journal makes information recording faster (in my opinion).

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I know they have an artbook one that contains thick white paperboard, but you only get 48 pages out of it rather than 96.

My 2 small ones are blank pages, my A5 is blank pages, and my A4 is grid-lined.

I do like the Moleskines, but you pay a lot for marketing. They're certainly useful, but if you can find a cheaper alternative, then get it. From my experience, they're not inferior. ;)

11. franmatt80 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I use the extra large cahiers for note taking in meetings when I need to sketch and doodle, which I prefer to do on paper than my ipad screen.

It's exactly the same size as my ipad and slots onto the sleeve with it- perfect.

I've never had problems with not being able to use both sides of the page, but write in biro rather than fountain pen.

Expensive maybe, but I like the quality of them and find the cream coloured pages easier to read than the brilliant white of most notebooks.

12. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Point taken. Moleskine is good quality, but as in several markets that hardly means they're the only ones.

13. maclaptop, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2011

maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Perhaps it strikes you as too close to Apples marketing techniques for comfort?

I quote Stevie Boy "It's Magical & Revolutionary".

Well said :)

I happily pay the premium price for Moleskine, because I like them.

The "little red ribbon" is a feature I find useful and it makes me smile. It's so classic and quaint.

The finish on the cover is also just to my liking as well as the special paper inside.

When one uses a proper pen, there is no bleed through and you can easily write on both sides of the paper.

I enjoy a very fine tipped, high quality quick drying gel pen.

The ones I use are not readily available in the USA but are obtainable through this online source.

http://www.jetpens.com/index.php/product/view/products_id/41

14. dyn macrumors 68030

A lot of people that use fountain pens are not happy with them. If you read peoples opinion at the Fountain Pen Network (FPN) they'll be mostly negative. The paper isn't very good, sucks up too much ink and simply isn't fp-friendly. People at FPN mostly use other that are even cheaper. It varies from Rhodia to HP laserjet paper. Most of the mods and additional accessories (like penholders) are also usable on other little notebooks (like those from Rhodia).

I'm currently using some el cheapo A5 (flip) notepad from the nearby bookstore. Works fine with my fp's, very fp-friendly paper which doesn't bleed and such. A5 is the smallest size I'd use, those little Moleskin notebooks most people use are way too small for me. A4 is also an option.

15. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I use Moleskine notebooks and have stock of Rhodia and Quo Vadis.

I use fountain pens on the daily basis and when I wrote with a TWSBI (F nib) with Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo, I did not find any noticeable problem with a Moleskine notebook. I think if you use over M nib pens with Moleskine, I think there would be bleed-through with ink.

One of my Moleskin notebooks is used as my travel journal and it is a well-made notebook. I need to try out Rhodia and Quo Vadis notebooks as I have them already but I have not yet tried them because I have so many Moleskin notebook stock at my place.

16. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

I've used Moleskines as my main log/note books at work for the last 6 years.

The A5 sized one is absolutely ideal for that purpose, and very hard wearing.

17. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I usually carry one to write down any ideas that might pop into my head at random times. It sometimes happens I've been working on a derivation or pondering a data problem for days and the solution or a possible avenue of inquiry pops into my head when I'm at Macys or somethig.

I like being able to draw, sketch, and write equations which is not something a digital solution currently offers in such an easy, cheap, and compact form.

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I use them as well and find them very good, but somewhat over-priced for what is offered. I bought an excellent, well made and sturdy pocket diary diary for 2011 (and am currently debating with myself whether to use the 2012 Moleskine diary I purchased, given that I also bought a Letts of London diary for 2012.)

To be candid, quality of the paper used, while good, could be better - and given that I use a fountain pen quite often, sometimes, I find that I have to wait (a bit) for the ink to dry; fortunately, it doesn't bleed all over the page as happens with many products which come with an inferior quality of paper which was one of the reasons I originally bought the Moleskine. I must confess that I like the cream colour - it does beat the bleached white used so much everywhere else.

In common with a number of posters in this thread, I find that a solid diary is very handy for taking notes - and I use one daily. The Moleskine can fit in a back pocket - it is about the size of a chunky wallet - but it is usually in my briefcase, as one cannot use a MBA for everything, and nor do I wish to. besides, there are times when nothing beats being able to take your own notes, at meetings, or simply strolling about.

Actually, the quality of paper in notebooks, diaries, etc has really deteriorated badly in recent years; oddly enough, and perhaps surprisingly, given our disdain in the west for much of what used to be made there, the former communist world makes extraordinarily good paper, which is an absolute pleasure to use for writing - I assume the methods used are somewhat old-time, or less modern.

19. nicksmolenski macrumors regular

nicksmolenski

I ended up getting a large calendar planner and a small notebook to try and replace the large one.
    The large one was great - you have a ton of space and it's a superb minimal design. The small one, however, made it hard to write because of the binding. You have to hold it down to write in it.