Mom discovered audio texting

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Xultar, Oct 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

Oh dear lord...

I'm at my wits end...

I've received about 10 audio messages since Saturday & 3 video messages. Many of the messages are of her just saying hello.

I just had to say something...to someone, anyone.

Don't get it twisted. It's cute the first 3 times. I like the fact my parents close to 70 are gadget geeks. I'm glad she is having fun with her new 5s but...I really don't like audio & video messages. I can't just look at the screen with a glance to see what she says. I have to pick up the device. And when she sends them at 4am...

Pray for me...

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So you're complaining that your mother is communicating to you? Many people wished to be in your situation.

3. Xultar, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2014

Xultar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xultar

I considered it an insult to me and my relationship with my mother. Especially since the post is light hearted...sorta ribbing on a techie 70 year old mom. Which is pretty cool.

Where did I say I didn't like or wanted to communicate with my mom? My mom and I call each other at least every couple of hours.

I don't like the audio feature. Just cuz I don't like that doesn't mean I don't want to communicate with my mom.

4. maflynn, Oct 14, 2014

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My point is there are many people who would give their arm or leg to talk with their mother one more time.

5. Xultar, Oct 14, 2014

Xultar

But you assumed I didn't know that? It was a light hearted post mang.

Many people would love to have my mom.

Until she sends audio messages at 4am then they'd pack her up with her sequined headbands & Afro wig collection & send her back to my place.

Just sayin.

6. ant1298 macrumors 6502

ant1298

Wow this turned sour almost instantly.

It's good that your mum is so techie, but I feel for you receiving 4am audio messages :) I'm afraid you're on your own bud, she's not getting my number :p

7. Sodner, Oct 14, 2014

Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I know what you meant OP. Ya a recorded voice message is a bit more intrusive than just a text for some reason.

I lost my father at a young age and can still see the OP meant no disrespect to her mother by her comments. And I would give anything to speak to him once more.

8. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

My mom called me one night at 10:30, she woke me up, I wasn't nice (my kids don't dare wake me up - they know I'm not nice! :p ), it was about something stupid.... A couple of night later I sent her a text late for the next morning. It woke her up.... Oh darn. Lol, she said we are even and agreed to not repeat that!

I got your post totally, hopefully the novelty wears off soon and she moves into something else! Lol!!

Oh for the record, I annoyed my 18 yo daughter one night with audio texts :p I actually just wanted to know if she could get them in her 4s running iOS 7. She could. But then it got fun to bug her :p

9. maflynn, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Perhaps I'm a bit sensitive, We're burying my stepson's father tomorrow and the loss for him is overwhelming. Your post to me was coming off that you were tired of hearing your mothe.

Peace.

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I would suggest having a rational, gentle talk with her about it. Voice messages, they're cute and all, but there's a time and a place for them. Let her know that you can't really open them in some situations (business meetings, other places where you don't want a loud recording to just play from your phone) and that text messages are a lot more discreet.

At the same time... save those audio messages. They may seem annoying to you now, but you have absolutely no idea how valuable those will be to you at some point in the future. I lost my father in January, and he was a luddite... no smartphone despite my sister and I's attempts to gently convince him into getting one. He didn't even personalize his voicemail greeting. And now, with no recording of his voice (because I didn't think I'd lose him anytime soon, and recording someone for the sake of recording someone comes off as creepy) I'm still dealing with trying to get my sister to cope with the loss enough to send me the last video recordings she has of him so that I have something.

11. BigInDallas macrumors regular

BigInDallas

Sorry for his loss.

12. Xultar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xultar

Sorry to hear of your loss. Loss is tough, it claws its way back and gets you repeatedly. Remembering the good times & the laughs may help.
    -----------
    Lord no I love talking to my mom. My mom loves Star Trek, Sci Fi, driving fast in her porche (to her 70 is fast)... Yes girl near 70 y/o drives a carrera. We talk all day.
    We txt all day. I'm her personal Apple Genius. She is coming from a 4 to a 5s cuz the 4 was "too slow" for her LOL. She is a hoot!

This reminds me when she wanted a new iPad so she could take pictures in church cuz some other lady was doing it. I was like u whip out that iPad in church I can't go with you anymore. She said Jesus wouldn't like me not going to church. I said you'd be taking pics in portrait vertical with an iPad in church, Jesus would back me up on that.
    ------
    We pick on each other in my family. We laugh, tell stories, embarrass each other & cut up. When someone in the family passes on we tell all those funny stories again, laugh and remember the fun. It may not be the best way but that's how we cope.

13. I7guy macrumors G5

Your attempt at some light humor did not come off well. I took it the same as others. I wish my mother were around to send me audio messages.

14. Xultar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xultar

Thanks. I just came here cuz she follows me on Twitter. I Wasn't going to tell her to stop sending them...just to follow our established rules no texting b4 6am.

I'm happy that she's exploring her iPhone. I don't wanna stop that cuz then she'll go back to trying to copy the hoochie outfits she sees in Vogue.

15. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

LOL, I'm 57 and can relate to your mom. I had almost everyone I know call me so that I could take the call on my wifi ipad. It still cracks me up every time when my phone hands calls off to ipad #

----------

I am so sorry to hear of your loss #

16. indychris macrumors 6502

indychris

Absolutely I would love to be able to talk to my dad, but give me a break! That's like saying we shouldn't wish anyone "Happy Mother's Day" because somewhere there's someone without a mom. :rolleyes:

Who can't understand the slightly humorous frustration of mom discovering that she can 'send her phone call' any time she wants to?! [​IMG]

That's made for sitcom right there!

17. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

I had the same thing happen when my parents discovered viber. They got tired of it in a week.;)

18. Xultar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xultar

That's it!

Lord When she discovered FaceTime a few years ago she flashed me! I still shake my head about that. But I also smile. I hope she doesn't get caught up in the nude photo scandal. #pray

My grandma died 10 years ago. We still miss her but we joke about how much better she'd be at using a smartphone than my mom. We still joke about how she'd cut you if u messed up the vcr recording of her soap operas.

19. TheDoubler55 macrumors 6502

TheDoubler55

This thread has got me in a ball of mixed emotions, not a good way to start my morning. Sorry for your loss. Mom flashing is not a good picture. :eek:

20. jim.hickman.777 macrumors regular

I lost my mom in 1968, it would be nice to hear from her by phone or any other way

21. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

We all have different life experiences we bring to a conversation. I thought the OP's light humor was very amusing. It didn't sound at all to me like he hated his mom and never wanted to talk to her.

I think it sounds like he and his mom have a great relationship.

My relationship with my mom has always been strained. Some times more than others. I could, when people make happy comments about their wonderful mothers, lash out at them because I wish my relationship with my mom isn't what I wish it was.

But, I choose to be happy for them.

Be happy you had a mom that you miss enough to react the way you did to the OP's message.

----------

Hahaha!

I'm glad my mom stopped drinking (she's an alcoholic) before she got an iPhone. I can imagine what horrors I would have had to endure if she had the option to communicate via FaceTime several years ago. ;)

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I wish we would have had audio texting or Facetime before my mom died in 2002.

23. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I feel for ya.

Just set her thread to DND and check it every once in a while. She'll chill out after the novelty wears off.

24. Xultar, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014

Xultar

For everyone that has lost their mom, dad or a special someone please know I'm sorry for your loss.

If you can take time today to think of the good times. Think of the laughs.

While audio txt may not have been around on iPhone there were things like camcorders, audio recording & home movie equipment dating back to the 50's. But the best thing is what you remember in your heart.

Some of the best moments in my life weren't even recorded. So even if my mom weren't waking me with audio txt at 4am I'd still be lshaking my head & laughing my arse off at other things.

----

I'm LOL cuz the feature has always been there but it wasn't easy to find.

25. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

There's this thing called "do not disturb" use it. You can thank me later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.