Mom needs a smartphone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kwyn, Aug 4, 2009.

1. kwyn macrumors regular

She wants it for listening to music, email, and trading stocks (via. web, doesn't necessarily have to be an app).

Currently she has Verizon.

She is willing to switch. She is not very tech. savvy. She needs simplicity.

So...Iphone, Blackberry, Other????

Please tell why...

Thanks.

YES I DO KNOW WHERE I AM POSTING THIS!!!

2. Axl Rose macrumors regular

iphone..it plays music easy(syncing and what not) and is easier to learn

3. SeanMcC macrumors regular

I'd go with iPhone or Blackberry. iPhone is intuitive, Blackberry is robust.

4. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Most importantly, is she fine without a physical keyboard? Your answer lies in the answer to that question. Everything you listed, both phones can do pretty well.

5. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

iPhone 3G or 2G.

Satisfies her needs, fun to play with, easy interface.

HOWEVER. My advice to you, is to take her to an AT&T store, or an Apple store, and have her try out an iPhone. Let her see if she is comfortable with the interface and that keyboard.

6. kwyn thread starter macrumors regular

I'm letting her screw around with my 3g.

7. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Fair enough. Let her see if she is happy with how the interface is, if she can organize her own things and apps accordingly if need be.

Also, let her test out texting and typing. I'm assuming if she'll be using stocks, she'll need to be a bit accurate with the multitouch.

"I SAID SELL JOHNSON, NOT BUY. SELL!"

Don't want any of that, now do we? :p

8. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
    well in the grand scheme of things... (it has to be baby steps with my parents)

i bought my mom a iPod Touch a few months ago to get her into the OS... she picked it right up, loaded her streaming radio stations, podcasts, music etc... she loves it....
    then yesterday i just bought her a 3gs..... she'll have lots of fun with it around town and when my parents travel........ I think the OS on the iPhone is much easier for "moms/dads" over the blackberry.....

good luck!!

ps now if i can only get her to dump her Windows machine for a Mac it would make my life much easier.... (getting closer)

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would say the iPhone as it is very easy to use.

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I think the OS on the iphone is much easier for *everyone* than bb. BB was designed as a corporate device. If you have a BES and need central administration and strong security then it's a great choice. For a consumer... not so much.

11. enohPi macrumors member

enohPi

If your mom likes beautiful, simple thigs - iphone
    if she likes uglyness and too much buttons - blackberry :)

12. ineedamac macrumors 6502

I would get her an iPhone. I have found the ui on the iPhone is easy to use and there is not much of a learning curve. My wife has a bb curve. I cannot use that thing. The ui just does not make sense to me.

I have talked several people into getting an iPhone and all of them are very happy with the iPhone.

13. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

My mom could barely use her Razor and I talked her into getting the 3G last month. She loves it and can actually use it.

Your on a Mac Forum, I say tell her to get a 3G. Cheap and simple.

14. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

A couple years back, we bought my Mother a Blackberry and she said "how do I take a picture; and why all these extra keys?" Needless to say, within 24 hrs she went right back to her Nokia (circa. 1995). Mother taught all of her kids to type using the home keys.....:eek:

15. christyn macrumors 6502a

Yes, I agree.

My mom went out and bought one after she saw me and my husband's, followed by my dad who also got one. She never really tried it out first... and she ended up not really liking the interface.

16. ineedamac macrumors 6502

To me this is a great example of why the iPhone ui is so much better than the bb. Just like Steve said in the keynote announcing the iPhone the problem with other smartphones is the bottom 40...they have these buttons that are there whether you need them or not....

I think the iPhone is easy to use because it only displays what is needed for each app.