Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Moment, known for its lineup of camera lenses and accessories for Apple's iPhones, today announced the launch of a new series of MagSafe cases and mounts designed for the iPhone 12 models.

momentmagsafe.jpg

The MagSafe-compatible iPhone cases from Moment are designed to be thin and light with a soft touch texture. There's a wrist strap connection at the bottom and an included lens mount to make the case and the iPhone 12 compatible with M-series lenses. Two models are available, including a thinner version and a more rugged protective model that better protects the bottom of the phone.

momentcases.jpg

Along with cases, Moment is introducing Tripod Mounts that attach magnetically using what it says is a proprietary magnet that is stronger than standard accessories. It works with standard 1/4"-20 tripods or handles and a Pro version includes a cold shoe arm.

There's a Multi Threaded Mount with extra strong magnets and five female threads on the front to allow the iPhone to connect to tripods, rig mounts, ball heads, and other photography equipment, while a Cold Shoe Mount lets you mount a light or a microphone.

momenttripod.jpg

For use in the car, there's a Car Vent Mount that has the same strong magnetic connection and that attaches to the car's air vents using a rubberized fit attachment, and for use at home, there's a wall mount that includes a strong magnet on one side and 3M adhesive on the other so the iPhone can be attached to anything.

Moment's accessories are priced starting at $19.99 and can be found on the Moment website.

Article Link: Moment Launches MagSafe-Compatible Cases and Mounts for iPhone 12 Models

mrz_V1

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2016
There website is a massive. The first thing I saw was 320+ new products click here.. I clicked there and after scrolling endlessly didnt see the cases.. Macrumors if you guys could actually post the REAL url not just to the main landing page of the site but maybe a URL to the actual specific products that you are discussing in this article that would save people so much time.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
And the car mount is STILL not a charging mount. What is with these companies not adding Qi charging? I truly don’t get it.

iOttie got back to me last week, saying they’re working on a Qi charging MagSafe car vent mount, but who knows when that’ll be out. They’re the only bright spot so far.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
There website is a massive. The first thing I saw was 320+ new products click here.. I clicked there and after scrolling endlessly didnt see the cases.. Macrumors if you guys could actually post the REAL url not just to the main landing page of the site but maybe a URL to the actual specific products that you are discussing in this article that would save people so much time.
Do a search for “MagSafe.” That’s how I found them all.

This is the link to the car mount, anyway.

NicolasConst

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2020
And the car mount is STILL not a charging mount. What is with these companies not adding Qi charging? I truly don’t get it.

iOttie got back to me last week, saying they’re working on a Qi charging MagSafe car vent mount, but who knows when that’ll be out. They’re the only bright spot so far.
ESR is actually launching a Qi car mount mid November. I dont fancy the look.

loekf

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2015
Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Still don't trust a Magsafe car holder for a 1000+ euro phone in case, specially on bumpy roads or roads with pavement (stone bricks etc) or people with loose or waving hands in the front seats.

name99

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2004

At some point you have to realize that, if you like decent accessories, the iPhones launch at the end of Sept, but purchasing should happen three months later...
Anything earlier and you'll be disappointed -- you won't get the exact color, or functionality or whatever you want -- even if you're sticking to only Apple accessories.

This delay is just a fact of life now. Easier to accept it, and accept that Christmas comes at the end of January, than to rail and rant against it.
(But yeah, these guys delaying till March is a bit much. Presumably they're more professional market, and things there move on a different time table.)

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
At some point you have to realize that, if you like decent accessories, the iPhones launch at the end of Sept, but purchasing should happen three months later...
Anything earlier and you'll be disappointed -- you won't get the exact color, or functionality or whatever you want -- even if you're sticking to only Apple accessories.
I don’t expect the actual items to be out, that’s not my issue. It’s disappointing that only iOttie even seems to be (publicly) planning it.

Belkin has said they’re not planning on a Qi MagSafe mount, and Moment has released what look be prototypes that don’t include it either.

alexstankie

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2020
Digital Nomad
That's the kind of accessories I was waiting for when Apple announced MagSafe. March is still a long way to go but it's nice to see things already announced.
We're aiming for a January ship date, but we added some buffer just in case we get surprised with these magnets. The polarization is unique, in that every magnet has 4 poles and an area in the middle with no magnetization. Regular off the shelf magnets won't work properly for this.

alexstankie

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2020
Digital Nomad

Apple has not released the MagSafe charging spec on how to enable 15w charging. We could make a magnetic 7.5w Qi charger, but it would not technically be MagSafe. We're looking at it as soon as apple releases it. Same for the NFC features. - Moment Product Team

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Apple has not released the MagSafe charging spec on how to enable 15w charging. We could make a magnetic 7.5w Qi charger, but it would not technically be MagSafe. We're looking at it as soon as apple releases it. Same for the NFC features. - Moment Product Team
Thank you very much for that key piece of information. I’ll dial back my frustration.

Reactions: andrewheartsbacon

HouseofG

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
I wish there was a way to sign up to be notified when its available.
Well, you can sign up for their email list like I did. At least, I think I did. It then demanded my cell number (seriously?) on the next page, and I bailed on the process.

Goldfrapp

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
US&A
MR: Misleading title. It’s not a launch, it’s a mere announcement of a prototype.

Marketing 101: Never announce things that you’re not able to ship in the next month or two, unless it’s a freaking Kickstarter.

These products are pretty much a Kickstarter, aka “We had a dream about a product idea, and we promise to ship it before year 3000.”

Last edited:

andrewheartsbacon

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2020
Montana, USA
MR: Misleading title. It’s not a launch, it’s a mere announcement of a prototype.

Marketing 101: Never announce things that you’re not able to ship in the next month or two, unless it’s a freaking Kickstarter.

These products are pretty much a Kickstarter, aka “We had a dream about a product idea, and we promise to ship it before year 3000.”
We’ve shipped six Kickstarters so it’s far from our first pre-order rodeo.

andrewheartsbacon

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2020
Montana, USA
Well, you can sign up for their email list like I did. At least, I think I did. It then demanded my cell number (seriously?) on the next page, and I bailed on the process.
Two Three things.
1. March 2021 is too abstract to process.
2. Those magnets better be freaking strong.
3. Vote.
We’re pushing to ship as early as January, but it’s a pretty complex 35 magnet design so being conservative with our estimate.

The magnets will be freaking strong. Will be very comparable to the magnets on the OM4 which takes about 12 lbs of pressure to disconnect.

And yes, vote.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.