Momento - A unique approach to diary writing

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by owaters, Dec 31, 2009.

1. owaters, Dec 31, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010

owaters macrumors member

UPDATE: Check out Momento 2.0 at http://momentoapp.com

-----------------------

We've just released our new iPhone app and would love to hear your thoughts!

Visit: http://www.momentoapp.com // Follow us on Twitter: @MomentoApp

Momento is a unique diary writing application for the iPhone and iPod touch, which provides a quick and easy way to privately record moments throughout your day. Connect with popular social web services, such as Twitter, Facebook, Flickr and Last.fm, to collect and display your online activity as part of your diary.

Whether you already write a diary, or like the idea but struggle to find the time, Momento can help make it quick, easy and rewarding.

With Momento in your pocket you can write your diary on the go, capturing moments throughout the day in the short spaces of time you find free. Tag memorable events, people you meet and places you visit for a fast and effective way to browse and search your moments. You can also create custom tags to categorise and keyword moments however you wish.

Momento can import your online activity from social web services and display it as part of your diary. See your history of Facebook status updates, tweets, Flickr photos and Last.fm loved tracks, all in one place and fully searchable. Even if you're not interested in privately writing a diary, this is a great way to record and look back on your day-to-day life.

Features:
    • Write privately about your activities, thoughts and experiences quickly and easily.
    • Tag memorable events, people you meet and places you visit for a fast and effective way to browse and search your Moments.
    • Custom tags provide the flexibility to categorise and keyword Moments however you wish.
    • Attach multiple photos to each Moment from your iPhone's camera or photo library.
    • Rate Moments to see your best days at a glance.
    • Connect with popular web services to import, search and browse your online social activity.
    • Passcode protect Momento to keep your Moments safe and secure.

Supported social feeds:
    • Facebook statuses
    • Twitter tweets
    • Flickr photos
    • Last.fm loved tracks
    + More coming soon!

2. ksundar macrumors newbie

3. angle macrumors regular

I have to agree. A backup would be a MUST for an app like this!

4. TonyL08 macrumors regular

It has an Export Data option, but doesn't seem to have a way to recover it back into the app. So your data appears safe, but you'd have to start over fresh if you restore your device and don't use a back-up.

Will a restore option be added in?

5. owaters thread starter macrumors member

6. RRKPL macrumors member

Just downloaded app, I really like the feature set but was wondering if you will be adding ability to change typeface and most importantly make the type a bit bigger?

7. owaters thread starter macrumors member

The changing of font size is something which we definitely plan to provide in a future update.

Many thanks,
    Ollie

8. PrinceDraven macrumors regular

Nice!

Just wanted to post that i have purchased this and think it is Very good!
    I have been using various diary/journal type apps and i have to say this is now my favorite.
    The Facebook intergration is a nice touch, if you regularly update your facebook status then your diary is auto filled for you, saves duplicating what you input to FB.

Nice interface and like the way the photos are displayed on the entries.

Thanks and I look forward to future updates.

PD

9. owaters thread starter macrumors member

Thank you! Great to hear you're enjoying the app ;)

10. maczealot macrumors newbie

I love beautiful apps so I bough Momento. Now I have Momo, Simple Note and Momento for notes! :)

11. xeller macrumors newbie

Bought the app a couple days ago. Beautiful interface. I may be in the minority, but I have no problems with the font size or typeface. Not sure if the rating or the feeds will get much use, but I am looking forward to future updates. Is it possible to password protect some moments without losing the ability to protect the app? Keep up the good work.

12. PrinceDraven macrumors regular

Tags

Hi,
    Just wanted to make another quick comment.
    I love the Tagging on this, it is really easy to tag location or people or rating and they you can use the tags to look back.
    So most of my days are at work and dont get above 2 stars, but i had a great time with the family on Friday 1st so that is 5 stars, and that way I will be able to look back over the months and revisit just the highlights by sorting.
    I love the way it uses GPS for location too, so that i can see my diary entries whilst on holiday easy, or if i want to search for an entry whilst at work or something.

One tip, if you are tagging people, just type the first few letters of the name if they are in your address book they come up, you dont have to hit the plus sign, and scroll through entries, saves me a few second and a few clicks.

One question, is there any plans to enable landscape entry? I haven't needed it really, but it seems to save me a few seconds when i enter text this way in other apps.

Thanks,

13. Gokunama macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

All I can say is "WOW!" Gorgeous interface, and all I'd ask for is that independent back up feature that includes pics as well, I know that's planned.

14. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

No update yet? I really like the interface of this App, but I agree that a landscape keyboard would be very helpful. I also wish that it was easier to add a moment to a previous day like yesterday for instance if I forgot to write something.

I really like this app, but I'm considering switching to Awesome Note because I like to keep down other things that aren't necessarily moments in a day that I could but in folders, and it also includes a diary function that is very similar to Momento. I'm also interested in its ability to sync to Google Docs.

I don't like that you can't sync the Momento moments properly. All you can really do is export a text file, but I updated to my iPhone 4, and I have to start from the beginning. When is the update coming?

15. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

M-5 I agree.. I was in hospital for 3 months writing EVERYTHING down and when I came out I updated and i've lost everything. It's actually annoyed me so much I've subconsciously stopped using it! An update might make me look again, though.

EDIT: Looks like there are updates coming @momentoapp and they've published an FAQ on updating and retaining your moments.

16. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Thanks for the link; I'm following them on Twitter now. I saw their FAQ page, though it just states how to back-up on iTunes, and I unfortunately wanted to set up my iPhone 4 as a new device. It says they're working on an independent back-up functionality, so hopefully that arrives soon. I'm still considering AwesomeNote...hmm I don't know what to do.

17. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Hmm i'm not sure what to say. I might try see if i can locate the backup itself and then export that through a dropbox system (for example), but i'm not too sure. I'll have a look in the next few hrs and let you know.

18. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Just a quick bump to say there's an update (actually over a week ago i think) released by the Momento devs, who are close to releasing Momento v2.
    I'm very much looking forward to this update, which brings a lot of new, nice and needed feautures;

Read the announcement here!

19. owaters thread starter macrumors member

Momento 2.0

Hey guys,

We've submitted Momento 2.0 App Store! Hopefully it should be available to download early next week.

Here's what's coming in v2.0...

New feeds:
    - Foursquare check-ins
    - Gowalla check-ins
    - YouTube videos
    - Vimeo videos
    - Diggs
    - RSS/Atom web feeds

New features:
    - Backup and restore
    - Retina display ready
    - Full landscape support with a new landscape calendar view
    - Multiple feed accounts
    - Export moments and feeds in plain text with photos
    - Day view navigation bar to jump to next and previous day
    - Moments can be added without a timestamp
    - Links in moments can be viewed in the in-app browser
    - Feed items now link to their original source
    - Browse all moments with photos from the ‘Tags’ tab

Enhancements:
    - New moments can now be created from the day view
    - Feeds can now be updated manually
    - Setting to toggle sounds
    - Setting to view moments in ascending or descending order
    - Setting to start calendar on Sunday or Monday
    - Setting to select whether photos are saved to the camera roll
    - Setting to toggle feed updates on launch
    - Twitter feed option to ignore #tags
    - Twitter feed option to only import tweets containing #momento or #m
    - Twitter feed option to include official retweets
    - Flickr images now load the image browser when tapped
    - Improved photo browser with zoom functionality
    - Quick links to contact support and view FAQ
    - Improved GPS accuracy for ‘Find my location’
    - Moments can now contain an unlimited amount of photos

For more information on the new release, check out http://momentoapp.com

20. samcraig macrumors P6

just picked this up to try out. If you have any interest - it's a good time to "buy" as the price is reduced from 2.99 to .99....

21. coolajami macrumors newbie

Hi! Momento is a great app!
    It was all I want and I was looking for some time for the iphone, considering that I cannot have all the time my actual diary with me!
    I love tagging and feeds options!
    I was thinking that might be useful if there is a way to add calendar event direct from iphone calendar. Also in the same way if you associate tags from ipod or e-mails will be great implementation.

22. owaters thread starter macrumors member

Great to hear! Thanks for your feedback, really appreciate it.

We are looking to provide Calendar support in the future. Thanks for the suggestion ;)

If you need any help, feel free to contact us on our support centre at http://support.momentoapp.com/

Best regards,
    Ollie

23. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

Great App!

I was thinking of getting this app and after reading the comments on this thread and many of the reviews on iTunes I figured I'd give it a try and I absolutely love this app. I frequently use foursquare and facebook updates plus try to keep what Franklin Covey calls a "Daily Record of Events" and this app pretty much does that for me. Later in the day I would usually go in a diary app and try to recap what happened during the day and this app will let me do that much easier now since it will do most of the work for me.

This is definately worth the $2.99 price

24. owaters thread starter macrumors member

Hey everyone - to celebrate the start of Summer, we've put Momento on sale for just 59p/99c for a limited time.

If you've been tempted by our awesome little app before but not taken the plunge, now is the time! Summer brings with it holiday time, a break from school, college and work, which means more activities and more experiences. Make sure you record all your fun in the sun this summer with Momento so you can relive those memories forever.

http://momentoapp.com

25. bostonheart macrumors newbie

OWATERS,

Are there plans on releasing Momento for Mac? I love this app, and believe it to be almost perfect. I really want to use it on my mac and I would also love to be able to print my resulting journals.

If so when?

Thanks

Erin