Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Futurix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
Strasbourg, France
I really like the updated Photos app in iOS 13, but I can't help but miss the old Moments tab (where photos were sorted location in chronological order, without anything hidden). Is it gone completely or I just haven't found it yet?

Futurix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
Strasbourg, France
That's "Memories".
I was talking about old style list that was on "Photos" tab.

From Apple's article (not yet updated for iOS 13):

Photos groups your library into Moments, Collections, and Years arranged by time and location.

Moments: See groups of your photos and videos taken around the same time and place, like an afternoon at the beach.

Reactions: Tom Schrier

Futurix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
Strasbourg, France
Thank you!
Who knew they would hide it so much!

Also, it only should the photos that are visible in the map - so zoom out is needed to show everything (my photo locations span multiple continents).

Reactions: comakut

comakut

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2017
I updated today to iOS 13 and I am so unhappy with the Photos app. The thing I miss the most is the Moments view. I am angry to the point that if Apple doesn't change this I will begin looking for alternatives. For now, I will be holding on upgrading my computers to Catalina because of this.

I am also very frustrated with all this new "machine learning" crap for Photos and the lack of user control over it. I have many photos that I want to keep as they are part of my life, but I don't want to see prominently displayed as "photo of the year" or photo of the month. Is there any option to choose which photo to see in the summaries? If I could choose, I would like to disable all this year/month/day view altogether and go back to the previous Moments/Collections/Years view.

Photos app was almost perfect as it was and they had to screw it up.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Go to Albums, then Places and select Grid instead of Map.

Any way to get it to show the newest first like it used to do? Now it takes me back to the start of my library, not the end. Is there a shortcut to jump to the bottom of the page? I know you can jump to the top, but not sure you can do it the other way.

comakut

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2017
Apologies...missed that. So the ones it misses are the ones taken on other devices or scans which don't have location data?

Aside from photos without location data, the thing is that the map can never be zoomed out enough in order to span the entire world, and the list will only show whatever photos are shown on the map.

Besides, I don't like the idea to having to go through so many hoops as a workaround for something that was available as a default view on previous versions of Photos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.