Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elancias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
Seagate Momentus® XT Solid State Hybrid Drives does it compatitable with macbook pro 15inch early feb 2011? anyone can advise on this?

elancias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
im from singapore any idea where to get that disk at a reasonable price? any website or place?

punchdrunk55

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
I'm in the market for a new HD and supposedly the 2nd gen is going to ship this year so I am waiting for that one, hopefully they fix some of the minor annoyances that people had with the first gen

Tim Red Beard

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
Enfield, CT
I have a Mercury Pro 6g SSD as my main drive and the Seagate Momentus XT as my storage drive and my early 2011 MBP screams it's so fast. I love both of the HD's I got. I even put the Momentus XT in my wife's Unibody MB and she's shown increased performance.

My current config: 8GB RAM, 120GB Mercury Pro 6G SSD, SGM-XT Storgage, 2TB Time Capsule for Time Machine backups only. External FireWire 800 enclosure with my stock 750GB HD from my MBP. I have plenty of storage for all my video and music projects. Awesome machine and so happy with all the upgrades I've put into it. Well worth it.

TRB

Spiral21x

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2009
Doesn't using the Seagate as a storage only drive negate the adaptive ssd and performance boost?

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
Doesn't using the Seagate as a storage only drive negate the adaptive ssd and performance boost?

No... the hard drive's firmware determines the most used files and caches them in the SSD drive. From what I understand.

So it actually be a nice and speedy hybrid storage device still. :)

Tim Red Beard

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
Enfield, CT
Do not buy this drive. I had one and had to remove it. It drained my battery life and would drop out locking up my machine. I actually went back to my normal HD and it was bounds better.

And I'm not alone.
http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Momentus-XT-Momentus-Momentus/bd-p/Momentus

Interesting, but I'm having no issues with my battery life and my wife is having no issues with her MB either, she's using it as her main drive, if she starts having issues I will be calling NewEgg but it's got more positive reviews then negative on Amazon, NewEgg and other sites. So could be a one off issue with yours.

Also the performance as the "Storage" Drive is amazing, transferring datas is blazing fast, rendering video to the drive is fast, it's working great. I tweaked all my settings and made sure everything is functioning properly. Plus I always have a backup on my Time Capsule.

If buyers are worried about faulty drives order from a supplier that has a very good return program. That's what I suggest.

elancias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
i did saw some negative feedback where people install the hybrid drive into their macbook pro some gave out beeping sound..

Spiral21x

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2009
Yes that is how it works, but my thought is that you wouldn't see much benefit from that. Most people put media on a storage drive right. How often do you use the same specific media files with regularity. You would see a lot more gain using it as a boot drive. It's still a pretty cheap drive compared to a full ssd so I guess it doesn't hurt. Just thinking aloud ;)

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
Interesting, but I'm having no issues with my battery life and my wife is having no issues with her MB either, she's using it as her main drive, if she starts having issues I will be calling NewEgg but it's got more positive reviews then negative on Amazon, NewEgg and other sites. So could be a one off issue with yours.

Also the performance as the "Storage" Drive is amazing, transferring datas is blazing fast, rendering video to the drive is fast, it's working great. I tweaked all my settings and made sure everything is functioning properly. Plus I always have a backup on my Time Capsule.

If buyers are worried about faulty drives order from a supplier that has a very good return program. That's what I suggest.

I never experienced any issues with my MomentusXT that you are describing, but I don't doubt the presence of the issues. It's most likely the firmware you were running (or a faulty drive).

Spiral21x

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2009

Ah. I would think that fast speed is a result of your mercury ssd just having a fast connection good interface to the seagate. It should be just as fast with a comparable standard 7200rpm drive. Not questioning your claims, i'm just thinking about putting a 2nd harddrive in my mbp and trying to decide if using the hybrid vs a standard 7200 would really make much difference.

Tim Red Beard

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
Enfield, CT
Ah. I would think that fast speed is a result of your mercury ssd just having a fast connection good interface to the seagate. It should be just as fast with a comparable standard 7200rpm drive. Not questioning your claims, i'm just thinking about putting a 2nd harddrive in my mbp and trying to decide if using the hybrid vs a standard 7200 would really make much difference.

You're thinking is right on, the main reason I went with the Hybrid as my storage drive was because I wanted something faster then the so called "standard" 7200rpm drive, plus most of my "working" files will the the most accessed ones on the drive. I will be putting lots of effort into my work and I want to make sure it will render fast to cut down on time spent working. Guess I'm impatient when I'm doing my work. LOL! Also it was on sale and I got a rebate so I ended getting it for like $70 bucks so that worked into my decision on getting it. Now having the SSD just WOW! :eek:

When the SSD prices go down I might just be running two of those. Who know I might just get another SSD for my 2nd Drive and put the Seagate in my old MB...we shall see! :)

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
I honestly think that having a traditional HDD as your storage device makes more sense because not only will you have to worry about wearing down your SSD, but really the speed increase of having dual SSD's IMO is not worth all the $$. Not only that but you can have a lot more space with the XT for a cheaper price.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004

I ran the firmware updates, and as far as a "faulty drive", take a look at the Seagate forum. Tons of unhappy people, all having the exact same issues. With Seagate saying they're aware of the issues and promising a series of firmware updates which haven't fixed anything.

In fact, take a look here, right on this forum:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1008471/

BLOCKMONSTER

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2011
There's always a group of people declaring faultiness to everything out there. Like one post sd if you worried about it being faulty, buy from somebody that has an easy return/exchange (amazon). I read everything about the momentus xt and even saw all the issues related to certain fw. but that didnt stop me from buying 2 momentus xt for my MBP. plus mine came shipped with SD26. if it ends up bein faulty, oh well lesson learned and move on.

@Tim Red Beard ... i never thought of using it as a storage drive. I currently have one for osx/apps and another for plugins/sound libraries i use for logic and protools. might have to buy another one from amazon. theyre 90$ now last time i checked and I got amazon prime.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
There's always a group of people declaring faultiness to everything out there. Like one post sd if you worried about it being faulty, buy from somebody that has an easy return/exchange (amazon). I read everything about the momentus xt and even saw all the issues related to certain fw. but that didnt stop me from buying 2 momentus xt for my MBP. plus mine came shipped with SD26. if it ends up bein faulty, oh well lesson learned and move on.

Except, again, in this case, Seagate acknowledged the problems.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Except, again, in this case, Seagate acknowledged the problems.

However, I think the point that was being made was that not everyone experienced the problems. The majority (based on how forum trouble reporting tends to bias to the negative) do not have problems, or had an actual defective drive and exchanged it for another.

I've been running mine since last November and have had no problems - no noise, vibration, excessive heat, or decreased battery life (I had a WD SB before the XT). There was a noticeable performance improvement over the WD, though hard to put a number on it. It's actually the quietest 7200 RPM drive I've had in a PB/MBP.

I ran SD23 initially, then updated to SD24 when it was released. I haven't had any problems, so I've waited on SD25 until there was enough feedback to judge the update. Based on what I've read (at Seagate, and elsewhere), I'll apply the update in the near future.

elancias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
i have seen alot of bad review in Momentus XT do not know whether to get it and place it in my mbp 2011.....

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
i have seen alot of bad review in Momentus XT do not know whether to get it and place it in my mbp 2011.....

Only way to answer that is to try it! Just be confident in your purchase... more than likely you won't regret it.

I got mine from good ol' Newegg, and works just fine with my MBP 2011:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148591

You can't beat that price. Just sayin. :D

And I don't see much except for close to excellent reviews in the feedback area there.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.