Momentus 320GB vs 500GB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zenor, May 30, 2009.

1. Zenor macrumors member

Hello everyone,

I am about to upgrade my MBP's hard drive and ram.

I was thinking about picking the Seagate Momentus 7200.4 500GB, but is the speed noticeable compared to the 7200.4 320GB? 320GB are enough for the work I do, so I am most concerned about the speed. The 320GB is 50€ cheaper
    so I could save up for the RAM which costs 60€.

Let me know what you think.

2. JCastro macrumors 6502a

If you don't need the extra space, but you do need speed, then I think you would be better off going with the 320GB and getting more RAM. RAM is really where you are going to notice a speed increase.

3. Zenor thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. That's what I am probably going to do, although I have heard people talking about vibration and loud sounds from these hard drives.
    That's my only concern.

4. GoHack macrumors member

I just finished installing the 320GB Seagate Momentus 7200.4 on my uMB, and I'm getting absolutely no vibrations, nor do I hear any loud sounds.

So far it's running great. ;)

As a note, you will need a T6 Torx head tool for the screws on the OEM hard drive, which you will need to transfer to your new drive. Just be careful, they are very small.

5. Zenor thread starter macrumors member

Are there any differences between the 7200.3 and 7200.4 320GB HD's?
    I can't seem to find the 7200.4 on any store which ships to Europe.

6. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

has anyone used the 500gb seagate yet ?? any problems ? vibrations ? etc .. because i am interested in upgrading the stock hdd in my macbook pro

7. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Lots of people... no issues at all.

8. rhythmac macrumors 6502

rhythmac

I've been using the Seagate Momentus 500GB @7200RPM for 5 months now with absolutely no problems, vibration or noise.

did the upgrade myself...after watching video from OWC and Youtube.... piece of cake!

9. waywardsage macrumors 6502

waywardsage

There was some "over reaction" a few months back when the 500GB 7.2K drive came out. Since then Seagate took the drive off he market. This month it came back. I just finished the install. The vibration is no more severe than my 200GB 7.2K drive that I had installed before it. I'm in my quiet living room typing on it. And honestly...you'd have to be some sort of superhuman to hear it.

10. mcvaughan macrumors 6502

I'm thinking about putting the 500GB 7200RPM drive in my new MBP; not only for the extra space, but also the extra speed (my MBP is 5400RPM). Has anyone noticed a significant decrease in battery life when going from 5400 to 7200RPM hard drives?

11. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Neither.

Seriously, stay away from Momentus drives, I've only heard bad things about them.

In terms of the drive itself, don't go with anything less than 7200RPM.

12. mcvaughan macrumors 6502

Can you elaborate on the "bad things?" Reliability?

13. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

I just installed a Seagate 500GB 7200.4 last night. These units are back in stock and available from the usual sources. I was running a Samsung 5400 RPM 500GB drive for the last 8 months and upgraded to see if the speed makes a difference.

It is a matter of how fast is fast. The Seagate benchmarks as being faster but in real world operation I do not see much of a performance kick. No difference in sound level (can not here the drive unless you put your ear on the palm rest).
    And no vibration is detectable.

It does take a bunch of hours to WinClone up my 200GB windows partition then clone the old drive to the new one, then re-establish the BootCamp Win XP installation.

Neil