Momentus XT 14 second bootup on new macbook pro 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by computertechno, Feb 26, 2011.

1. computertechno, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011

computertechno macrumors member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDmn6UQ19Q8

In a laptop like this one the Momentus XT has shown to be the best choice for me. I need a good laptop for gaming, work and that has a good battery life. I used to use my M11x R2 for gaming and a Macbook Pro 13" for working.. but this new mac can do both.

I tested the stock 750GB HDD and the Momentus XT 500GB and because of the ssd part the momentus really comes ahead. I was going to try with a full SSD but the results would be obvious. Currently, a full SSD on Macbook Pro 13" shaves about 3 seconds (boot time) from the Momentus XT.. and of course, opening files and what not is a little bit faster, but I do need the space. And for now a good sized SSD is just out of the question. These games are huge these days and they would fill up any sub-200GB ssd in no time.

So, in conclusion. get the new momentus Xt, update the firmware and be a happy camper.

More info - here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1103514

btw - guys, do you want to get together and put all our benchmarks/fps results together? that way we dont cover what we already did.. I would be happy just to start a google spreadsheet. I think this forum has a huge potential of helping undecided people by showing some raw data.

2. ddoolin0 macrumors regular

You said you used your M11x for gaming and your 13" MBP for gaming. I think you meant something else.

#corrections.

3. computertechno thread starter macrumors member

yep. thx. I meant for working.. maybe I should just game and quit.

4. Grouchy Bob macrumors regular

Curious.

What does the momemntus XT store to increase the boot time? It's only a 4gb SSD.

5. computertechno thread starter macrumors member

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3734/seagates-momentus-xt-review-finally-a-good-hybrid-hdd

"Over a short period of time the Momentus XT should get many of the small files you use regularly into its NAND cache but the drive is best optimized for repeatable usage patterns. If you always use the same few applications in the same way the Momentus XT will work very well. I found that it's not very difficult to get data evicted from the NAND cache if you throw a random set of applications/workloads at the drive."

6. jreuschl macrumors 6502

There's still too many reports of issues with the drive for me to trust it, even with the newest firmware. It seems most of the problems are on MBP.

7. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

It would seem to me that if you don't reboot your computer often, that the boot files would no longer be in the flash memory. I would think that the flash would have Safari or other often used application files in it. Of course, that would also speed up your computing experience, but it wouldn't help your infrequent boot times much.

8. computertechno thread starter macrumors member

I hear you. Ive been using on a macbook pro 13" since it came out. no issues yet.