Momentus XT 500GB for a 2009 Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by MacPoulet, Mar 11, 2013.

1. MacPoulet macrumors regular

Hi all,

Last summer, I bought a 180GB Intel 330 series for my 2009 Mac Mini to replace a corrupting drive and it would freeze and beachball like crazy. Looking through the forums, I learned that my Mini is from the generation that can't take SATA 3 drives, which the Intel is.

I swapped the SSD out (it's now quite happy in my Mac Pro) and put the old drive back in the Mini while searching for a replacement.

Will the 500GB Momentus XT work well? It's SATA 2 so I'm hoping it won't cause the same issues as the SSD.

Does anyone have it in their Mini? It's almost the same price as a stock drive, so I thought "Why not?"

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

S-ATA is backwards compatible, I for instance have an S-ATA 6.0 Gbps (S-ATA III) SSD in my 2009 MBP, which only has S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II) anyway and it works without pain. I have a Crucial M4 256 GB SSD in it and it works quite well.

3. MacPoulet thread starter macrumors regular

There's something about the SATA controller on the 2009 Mac Mini that doesn't work quite right. As per this older thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1272076

So yes, in theory SATA is supposed to be backward compatible, it's not always the case.

4. simsaladimbamba

I only see one mention of a problem, and it is a unspecified mentioning, in the second post.

Maybe there are problems, if so, get an S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II) SSD or HDD.

5. MacPoulet thread starter macrumors regular

There are other threads scattered across the web about it. I just went with the first one that came to mind.

Anyhoo, I'm still trying to find the answer to the second part of my query which is if anyone has a Seagate Momentus XT 500GB in their 2009 Mac Mini.

6. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

The problem is not with SATA, but with the SandForce chipsets, which the Intel 330 uses.
    Install a Crucial m4 or SanDisk Ultra Plus and you're golden.

7. MacPoulet, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013

MacPoulet thread starter macrumors regular