Momentus XT 750 Early 2011 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rebelarcader, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Rebelarcader macrumors newbie

I recently installed the Seagate Momentus XT 750 into my early 2011 MBP. I used Super Duper to clone my old drive. After installing the new HDD into my MBP it was able to boot up fine.

However every so often, on average about an hour apart, my screen flashes and all my currently opened programs are closed. It almost seems like I was logged out and logged back in or something...

The model drive I'm using is ST750LX003, I have not installed any firmware updates yet and am having trouble finding any for that model number.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. AppChat macrumors regular

id consider this a last resort option but wipe the drive and do a fresh install.

3. Joseph Farrugia macrumors regular

Looks like a corrupt/bad sector

Looks like a bad sector affecting the OSX install;
    did you try Disk Utility?

Hope you fix it soon.

4. Rebelarcader thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems like it works when I do a fresh install of Snow Leopard or Lion on it but when I copy my existing drive is when I get the problem I described in my original post...

I would really like to get this working as I have a lot of files from my original hard drive I don't want to loose... including my entire iTunes library.

5. Jimbogiant macrumors member

You could always do a fresh install and use Migration Assistant or Time Machine to get your files over, that should take care of your iTunes library and other files.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I just bought a Momentus XT 750GB a couple of weeks ago and straight up cloned my drive using Clonezilla, and it worked without issue. Maybe it's an issue with Super Duper?

6. Rebelarcader thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I guess it was an issue with super drive... I wiped the drive then did an install from my time machine backups and now the drive is working fine...