Momentus XT: Anyone else have lag/stuttering issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MovieCutter, Sep 1, 2010.

1. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I have two 500GB Momentus XT drives in my i7 MBP. each filled to 60-80% capacity. But when I'm doing anything from typing to playing back HD video in FCP, it lags and stutters, then catch up to itself. I did the firmware upgrades to the hard drives, and I have 6GB of RAM. What on EARTH would be causing this? It's driving me crazy! I ordered a Hitachi standard 7200RPM drive to swap into this to see if it's a hard drive issue or a RAM issues, but I'm guessing it's the Momentus.

2. badsandwich macrumors member

I seem to be having a similar issue. Generally everything has been ok since i installed it two weeks ago. Today I noticed that video playback stutters a great deal. I'm not certain whether this is recent; I don't remember trying to play any videos since the installation. The firmware is up-to-date so i don't think that can be the problem either.

I'm opening a ticket with seagate now.

3. badsandwich macrumors member

4. lickitysplit macrumors regular

i installed one last night in my 15 i7 and so far after ~5 hours of normal use I haven't run into any problems. I almost did the firmware update right away because I heard about these issues. But since i havent had any problems yet I'll keep using it the way it is. Ill report back if i run into any issues.

5. tjb1 macrumors 68000

If you just bought it recently the drive will have the most recent "SD23" firmware I believe...I know I was going to do the update but mine already had it and I purchased mine over 2 months ago.

6. lickitysplit macrumors regular

7. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Ok, so here's the deal with my Seagate Momentus XT...

In OSX, it would stall for no reason. Computer would work, but as soon as an application would try to load something from the hard drive, that said application would lock up.

In Windows, perfectly OK.

I had a conversation with my roommate, as his Asus Beast has 2 of these suckers in RAID. He's having random hard freezes. Not blaming the Seagate drives, but it is a possibility.

I'm cloning my working hard drive to the Seagate, bit for bit, so it should work fine once it's done copying.

8. badsandwich macrumors member

Just wanted to provide an update on this in case anyone has the same problem.

I put the disk into a Windows PC and ran the full battery of tests from the Seagate disk check utility - it passed them all. I also noticed video playback was not an issue in windows. Clearly this was a mac-only issue.

After a great deal of Googling, I followed the instructions here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=962125&page=7
    to both re-select the startup disk in System Preferences, and rebuild the shared cache.

After rebooting, now the disk appears to be working as expected.

9. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Hey guys I'm having the same problem so thought I'd just use this thread instead of making a new one.

I got a 500GB Momentus XT and installed it on a Macbook Pro 13" Mid-2010 version (C2D 2.4GHz base model). The whole laptop just randomly stutters and lags quite frequently. Like not just videos/flash videos but in menu windows (like app preferences) I'd click a drop-down box or an "OK" button and it'd take 3 sec+ for the change to take effect. My mouse pointer remains fully movable though so not like the whole laptop "locks up".

I did the "make as startup disk" step but BadSandwich how do you rebuild the shared cache? I know in Windows you can run disk defragmenter and that supposedly resets/clears out the 4GB SSD cache, not sure how to do this in Mac OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.4. Thanks in advance for any help (hate to have to return this)!

10. tjb1 macrumors 68000

How did you bring everything over to the drive?

11. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Clean install off of the OSX SL disks that came with my MBP13". Then copied over some files (music and videos) from my old windows PC. Apps and everything else I started from scratch.

12. badsandwich macrumors member

Code:
    Please open the Terminal application. Copy the following to the clipboard:

sudo update_dyld_shared_cache -force

Paste that into Terminal. Press Return at the end and, when prompted, enter your password (it'll be invisible) and press Return. When it's completed and the "%" prompt returns, quit Terminal and restart your Mac.

13. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Ah, OK. I saw that in the other thread.

I don't think that command clears the 4GB SSD portion of the Momentus XT does it?

Thanks for your input :)

14. badsandwich macrumors member

No it doesn't.

15. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Ok thanks for the confirmation, I'll try swapping out my RAM then (could be that).

16. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying