Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SR 7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Is this the right Hard Drive that everyone loves for their late 08' and current MacBooks?

It used to be $149 about 2 months ago and now it is back to $99 as stated from some users from last year...is this the right one before I make the purchase?

SR 7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
ordered it :)

now how do I transfer stuff from this hard drive to that one?

Medic278

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2012
New York
If I were you I would do a fresh install of your OS. I then used a USB enclosure and used migration assistant to move my files it was all pretty harmless. I researched that drive a lot before I decided to go with a true SSD and you should be pretty happy it gets great performance reviews!

SR 7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
If I were you I would do a fresh install of your OS. I then used a USB enclosure and used migration assistant to move my files it was all pretty harmless. I researched that drive a lot before I decided to go with a true SSD and you should be pretty happy it gets great performance reviews!

I bought Lion from the app store to update my Mac ... How can I do a clean install on the new HD?

I didn't spend the $ on true ssd bc I feel I won't use my Mac as much since my iPad and in the future figured thus was right in the middle.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012

SR 7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
So I have to rebuy it since iit says it deletes it from the computer when u upgrade?

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
So I have to rebuy it since iit says it deletes it from the computer when u upgrade?

You can redownload it at no cost from the App Store using your existing account details. Officially you should re-install Snow Leopard then update to 10.6.8 and download/install Lion from the App Store.

thebassmanmac

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2009
Cambridge
I have just done the same upgrade this week.
I upgraded my MacBook Aluminium 160Gb drive to the Momentus XT500Gb.
I still have only Gb RAM, i think thats the max it will take.

I done a fresh install of Snow Leopard, then re-downloaded Lion from the App store.
Hope you have a good internet connection, i reckon with all updates including Lion it was about 5Gb or so, luckliy i have a 30Mb download cable connection.

It's well worth it though, my boot time has improved from about 1 minute to approx 15 seconds. That is with the re-open programs box ticked, opening mail a on start up.d safari.

The new XT drive is as quiet as my original Fujitsu, does't get any hotter either, even during the major download and install session.

Good luck

thebassmac

Last edited:

iAppleseed

macrumors regular
May 11, 2011
Is this the right Hard Drive that everyone loves for their late 08' and current MacBooks?

It used to be about 2 months ago and now it is back to as stated from some users from last year...is this the right one before I make the purchase?

I've heard that it's a pretty good alternative to SSD. It's worth a shot.

SR 7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
okay so my hard drive came this morning and I am not sure what steps to take to prepare my computer...for instance, this is what I am thinking about doing...

I just re-downloaded Lion, I plan on putting that on a USB stick, than turning my computer off, putting the new HD in, place the USB stick in and ready to go with the new install.

Than install migration assistance on the new hard drive and transfer my files from my old HD to the new one...will this transfer EVERYTHING?

also, if i have windows open currently such as 4 safari tabs, during the transfer will this appear to or would i Lose these?

iAppleseed

macrumors regular
May 11, 2011
okay so my hard drive came this morning and I am not sure what steps to take to prepare my computer...for instance, this is what I am thinking about doing...

I just re-downloaded Lion, I plan on putting that on a USB stick, than turning my computer off, putting the new HD in, place the USB stick in and ready to go with the new install.

Than install migration assistance on the new hard drive and transfer my files from my old HD to the new one...will this transfer EVERYTHING?

also, if i have windows open currently such as 4 safari tabs, during the transfer will this appear to or would i Lose these?

Get an external hard drive case for the old hdd and do migration assistant. OR just go to the Genius Bar for free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.