Momentus XT installed.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oplix, Jun 8, 2010.

1. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

So my momentus xt drive came in today and I just got around to installing it. Installation was straight forward and I got it up and running.

Few things to mention. Had to use disk utility and format the drive before OS X could recognize it. No Biggie.

It is almost dead silent. I literally can't tell the difference between this drive and the stock momentus 5400 that came with the MBP.

It formats to 499GB. I thought this was fairly amazing that it only loses 1GB to the file system.

So far so good. Really happy :)

2. supercaliber macrumors regular

what did you pay? why did you choose that particular drive over others...

3. oplix thread starter macrumors 65816

oplix

I paid $130 + $6 shipping from newegg. I chose this because I didn't want to pay more for a low capacity SSD. This drive has very good performance for a standard Hard drive since it includes 4GB of NAND memory.

4. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

I know it takes some time to learn your patterns, but have you noticed any difference in speed?

5. oplix thread starter macrumors 65816

oplix

I restarted my MBP 3 times. 3rd time it booted in about 8 seconds after apple logo appeared.

6. oplix thread starter macrumors 65816

oplix

Sorry I meant that the whole boot sequence is faster. I didn't realize that prior to the apple logo is part of it. It seems a lot snappier.

7. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Not vibrating like crazy?

Mine was so I got an Intel X25-M. Plus I like consistent performance.

8. trondah macrumors 6502

You could have posted in one of the other threads....

Any hard drive you buy of any make/model (except external drives) will be blank with no partition table.

I disagree, in a silent room it is quite audible compared to the stock 5400. You can hear the platter spinning but writes are very low noise. It seems more quiet than a WD Scorpio Black 7200RPM I had some time ago though. The noise level is more than acceptable for me considering the speed.

Actually it formats to about 476GB, Apple changed the unit size in Snow Leopard.

Definitely, it's quite good. Boot times and application startup improvements are drastic.

9. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

Love mine so far. See the picture for before (Hitachi 7k500 left), and the Seagate XT (right).

Boots quick, word loads in one bounce, and login bar is up when I enter password. Ill take it! If you put your ear to the drive, you can hear the flash writing, but its as quiet as the Hitachi was from normal usage distance.

Fresh install, fully loaded OS, 14GB used (havent loaded my 200GB media)

Attached Files:

10. supercaliber macrumors regular

Did you look at the 6/GB sec drives?

The XT is a 3/GB sec drive. It seems if you wanted something fast you would have chosen the slightly more expensive Constellation on New Egg

Seagate Constellation ST9500430SS

11. oplix thread starter macrumors 65816

oplix

hard drives has zero use for 6gb sata 3 which is not even supported by MBP.

I'll say again, this drive is almost silent. No vibration, no noise. Your unit was most likely defective.

12. neteng101 macrumors 65816

That's a SERIAL ATTACHED SCSI drive - it won't go into any MacBook. ;)

13. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Burn....do your research next time :cool:

14. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Oh well always learn something or other.

But a faster interface is pretty much useless without the fast SLC cache of the Momentus XT... so the XT is going to be faster regardless. :p

People get caught up in interface speeds - only true SSDs can really exceed 3Gbps currently. A mechanical only drive is not going to use the 6Gbps.

15. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'm considering that drive for my MB, likely in the 320GB flavor, just wondering how it compares speed wise with a 7.2k drive, and if anyone has experience with it with bootcamp

16. midloman macrumors regular

midloman

Just installed mine into my MBP 15" 2.4. Drive is quiet as a mouse, the same as the 320 gig Hitachi it replaced. I hear nothing, I feel nothing. Except apps opening faster and my boot time cut in half.

I also have 500 gigs instead of 320 now. I'll be bootcamping later this week.

LT

17. oplix thread starter macrumors 65816

oplix

pretty much exactly what im noticing. I don't know where people got this whole "vibrating like crazy" perception. Seems like maybe the first batch had some faulty drives.

18. reubs macrumors 68000

This drive really intrigues, but I think I'm going to wait until it's been out in the wild for a little bit longer. My plan is to incrementally upgrade my MBP over the next few years instead of all at once, so maybe in the next 18 mos or so I'll pick up this one after finding out about its real-world durability.