Momentus XT Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eswank, Feb 20, 2011.

1. eswank macrumors 6502

So here's the deal. My friend and I ordered the Momentus XT from macsales.com. I was able to successfully upgrade my friend's hard drive and he's lovin' every minute of it. As for me and my experience with my own hard drive... not so much. I tried doing the same thing I did for him by using disk utility on Mac OS X 10.6.6 and just create a copy of my old hard drive. I get through the initial phase of it actually creating a copy and then it just fails on me. It comes up with a message stating something about an "input/output error". I've tried it a few times. I've erased the hard drive at least twice. I've verified and repaired the disk. I think I've tried everything but I'm still not getting any results.

So if anyone can help me please do. I'm actually deployed right now and it'll be a pain in the _ _ _ to get a new one sent since it takes forever! Thanks!

2. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Just saw this on Twitter:

@engadget Momentus XT hybrid drive causing headaches, Seagate working to fix http://engt.co/iiYg4n

3. crispy12 macrumors member

Have you tried SuperDuper! to clone your HD? I used disk util to format my XT externally and superduper to clone it, then put it in my MBP. Worked fine without a hitch, however had to rescan the HD for Spotlight which took a while and killed my batt life for half a week. Similarly, I used WinClone to copy my bootcamp partition.

Also, do you know what firmware is installed on your Momentus XT?

4. eswank thread starter macrumors 6502

The firmware that came with the drive is SD23. I have the disc ready to load SD24 but I still can't use the hard drive yet. I used SuperDuper and during the process I was about 75% complete and only copied 45GB of stuff out of the 350GB that i have used up. I know that wasn't going to finish completely. I've used SuperDuper and CCC. Would Data Rescue 3 work to clone the drive and make it bootable?