Momentus XT - Late 2011 15in MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ET3SW, Nov 13, 2011.

1. ET3SW macrumors member

Hey All!

So i am thinking of picking up a new Moments XT from best buy tomorrow (On sale for 119.00)

I would really love a ssd but need more storage then i can afford right now in sad form. I would take out my optical drive and throw a drive in there but i am one of those weird people that still uses my optical drive quite often so drive 1 is my only option.

I have looked at quite a few threads on here regarding the Momentus XT but it seems to be close to 50/50 on whether it is

A) Reliable
    B) Performs better
    C) Has issues

Thoughts?

Thanks Guys!

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

You do realize you can get a USB enclosure for your opti drive for like $18?

3. duffer6 macrumors 6502

I have it and love it. Best of both worlds. Mega storage and ssd like speeds. Boots in 19 seconds and launches photoshop in 4. Very reliable. Just my 2cents. Keep in mind the ones who love the XT never post or rarely post the negative experiences invoke a post. They sold a ton of these and I would guess less than 1/2 of 1 % encountered and issue. Typical of any Hdd.

4. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

You do realize that would void a fresh 1-year warrantee from Apple, right?

The 500GB is a bit small for me, but yes this drive is awesome. You get instant wake, like on a MacBook Air!

5. OldMike macrumors 6502

OldMike

Works Great

The first thing I did when I ordered my early 2011 MBP was upgrade the memory to 8GB and install the Seagate Momentus XT. It has been working flawlessly and boots really fast (I count less than the 19 seconds stated above).

I ordered my MBP late in the cycle and the Seagate drive was on firmware rev SD25. You should check the firmware rev on the drive you order and make sure it is the latest (SD28 I think). If not I would highly recommend upgrading the firmware on it (I needed to burn a cd and boot from it on the MBP - and it easily upgraded the firmware). Supposedly there were data reliability issues on firmware versions < SD26, which you can read about on the Seagate forums. SD28 is running faster than the previous firmware rev and I have been very happy with it.

When I saw that you were buying from Best Buy for 119, I was going to recommend Amazon since I purchased mine a while ago for 99, but I was amazed to see that they are now 140+ :eek: First time I could remember seeing the price of hard drives go UP over time.

One last recommendation is after you install the drive, reset the PRAM. Initially I did not do this and the boot time was quite long, almost as if it wasn't able to find the drive right away. After the PRAM reset, I was shocked at how fast it was able to boot up into Lion.

Anyway from what I have seen the Momentus XT is a great low cost alternative to a high capacity SSD.

6. Spadoinkles macrumors regular

Thailand buddy! A whole city covered in water. HDD stocks are dwindling.

I'd run a 128 SSD in there, 750/1TB in optibay and keep the ODD in an external case (it's quite small). I fill up 500gigs in no time of unprocessed video footage, so externals are a no-brainer for me, but I wouldn't know your needs enough to tell.

I don't have experience with the XT, but since purchasing my very first Seagate desktop external hard drive, I've had free replacements every single year because of disk failure. (Was never moved, had shock protection and was ejected properly compared to the abuse I've given my WD :eek:)

7. OldMike macrumors 6502

OldMike

Just wondering, what kind of proof do they ask for when you need to return it?

Original packaging, receipt? I've never returned a HD before and was wondering how much pain they put you through to try to discourage a customer from exercising the warranty.

8. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Agreed. Seagate products, especially desktop & external drives, are crap. I have a 5-year-old IDE Maxtor 320GB that never died on me, while I had to get 2 replacements for the 1TB GoFlex Home. For the Home, I ended up filing a BBB complaint and demanded a refund. Nope, they gave me no friggin refund and sent me a plastic GoFlex Desk for Mac 3TB. Yes, plastic. It's like they want the drive to fail.
    The GoFlex Desk for Mac is extremely loud, reaching 30dB on idle, 35dB when writing. I also filed a complaint about this 3 days ago, but the case has not really budged at all. In fact, the first support individual told me to do a boot time diagnostic. On a FW800 drive.
    At least 30% of people in Seagate's support department are either robots or have absolutely no idea what they're doing.

9. ET3SW thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys for all of the replies!

i really appreciate it and you all brought up good points. Although now you all have me thinking even more.

I could live with 128gb or 256gb SSD and just keep a lot on the externals that i have. But the choices are kinda hard and it seems like SSD's are still having issues. Am i wrong? Are there some that are better then others?

Thanks!

10. some idiot macrumors member

So would you recommend the Momentus XT or not?

11. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

None, I'm my experience. Enter the serial number online, chose your return method, get a new disk in about a week. As long as it's within the warranty based on the manufacture date I've never had an issue. If you bought it an it failed after the manufacture date warranty runs out (a normal commercial warranty) you might need a receipt to prove your warranty was still good but I've never been in the situation.

----------

I had a Momentus XT and now have a 256GB SSD (A CORSAIR CMFSSD-256GBG2D that I picked up cheaply as a refurb). I hard no issues with either but my XT was nowhere near as fast, in daily use, as my SSD. I guess if I allays used the same programs it would be faster but that's not how I use my mac. It's a great drive and never gave me any problems, but my SSD is a much more noticeable speed improvement. Then again, it was nearly $250. The XT was an improvement over the regular drive, and a cost effective replacement; especially if space is an issue.

If you can get by with 128GB, there are plenty of SSDs in the same price range as the XT and would give you better overall performance.

12. Quinoky macrumors regular

Quinoky

Those of you with a Momentus XT, how is the drive noise compared to "normal" hard drives? I ask this because I have returned my 256GB M4 -- the 256GB was simply not enough -- so I need a replacement that is fast and has plenty of storage. However, I've found conventional hard drives to be very loud (I couldn't stand the stock Toshiba hard drive). Now I have a Hitachi which is fine noise-wise, but it's really quite slow. Therefore, if a Momentus XT is quite silent, then I think that'd be the perfect solution for me. What are your experiences?

13. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

I put a 500GB Momentus XT in my mid-2009 15" MBP a few weeks ago. Performance gains were noticeable but minimal. I have since seen some unusual behavior (brief system freezes -- ~5-10 seconds at a time, and one kernel panic) that I am not really comfortable attributing to the drive, but on the other hand, it was the only thing in my system that has changed. That kernel panic was the first I've seen in the 2 years I have owned this laptop.

Yesterday the computer completely locked up on 3 occasions. I was doing some relatively i/o intensive activities (backing up a Win 7 virtual machine to a NAS while transferring a 500MB file from another source). After the third lock up I ran a verify disk and it failed. I was not able to repair the disk after booting from an external drive. I did a complete restore from a Time Machine backup and the restore failed a verify disk as well. I was able to repartition and perform a secure erase on the Seagate drive, and this morning I replaced the Seagate drive with the stock drive and restored my home folder. At this point I am inclined to return the drive to Amazon.

Was the drive the culprit? Dunno, but it is the only change I have made to the laptop so it is the leading candidate.

14. duffer6 macrumors 6502

My experience has been that they are quiet. I am using mine in a late 2011 MBP 17" and honestly I can't even hear it. I never used the stock drive in the MBP so I don't know how it compares. I am noise sensitive and I find that this drive does not draw attention to itself. Others may feel differently but this has been my experience.

15. OldMike macrumors 6502

OldMike

I'm not sure if the drive corruption could be related to firmware revisions SD25 and below. Can you check which firmware version you are on, out of curiosity. A link to an article (which contains a link to the seagate forum thread): http://superuser.com/questions/313447/seagate-momentus-xt-corrupting-files-linux-and-mac

I have read similar issues to yours, but have not had any issues, myself, and a friend with a 2011 MBP with the same drive has also had no issues as well. Perhaps these drives are hit or miss?

I was hesitant to purchase this drive after reading mixed reviews, but so far I have been very happy with it, and from my experience I would recommend it. As the OP stated, even SSD drives have issues and can be hit or miss as well. In my mind I would rather spend around $100 instead of $400+ if I was going to be taking a chance on something that is not a sure thing.

----------

My drive has been perfectly quiet - but I have read of others having issues with the drive being loud or knocking. Perhaps those are defective drives. Several firmware revisions were supposed to correct issues with drive knocking sounds.

16. cube macrumors G5

You do know that Seagate bought Maxtor in 2005, right?

17. randallw macrumors member

Hrm, I installed a Momentus XT 500GB in my 2011 13" MBP (Thunderbolt), but not getting anywhere close to the 19 second boot time you guys are talking about. Think mine is closer to almost a minute (this is from pressing power to the login screen). My drive's been installed for a few months now, and I power cycled a few times initially to get the OS loaded into the cache.

Most programs load up in a second or two, which is much quicker than my old stock HD, but the boot time is excruciating.

Guessing I should reformat and try reinstalling?

18. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Not sure if that would help - I had the same behavior; which may be due to applications getting priority in the cache, resulting in no boot up benefits.

19. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I bought a unused drive from before the acquisition. Surprisingly the owner didn't use it for a couple years. It's an original Maxtor OneTouch.

Yes, I would, since Seagate laptop hard drives are top notch. But don't expect a pleasant customer support experience if the drive crashes.

20. ET3SW thread starter macrumors member

Hey guys wanted to give you a update as to what i decided. I found a really killer deal on a Corsair Force 3 180gb SSD and decided to order that. I will have it tomorrow and will let you guys know how it goes!

Thanks for all your replies. much appreciated!

21. dsio macrumors regular

Reset NVRAM/PRAM then reboot the computer (from turn on to all your usual programs open ready for use) 5 times in a row, if its not down to 19 seconds or less after that, you've got a hardware problem.

22. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Make sure you get TRIM enabler, otherwise you'll see performance drops within a couple years.

23. ET3SW thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the tip!

24. ET3SW thread starter macrumors member

*Update*

SSD has been in for a few days and I am really loving it.

Thanks again for all the tips!