Momentus XT on a 2006 Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MrXiro, Apr 11, 2011.

1. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I'm not 100% sure of this... but it seems my Momentus XT runs a hell of a lot better on my sister's 06/07 2.16ghz White MB than it did on my MBP. It starts up and loads OSX in the same time as my SSD on my MBP.

It's a lot smoother, starts up faster and is less vibrate-y.

Though I think this does have in part to do with that it is a second faster on button press to actually "turn on" from a black "off" screen to the grey lit up screen.

Anyone else put an Momentus XT in a white Macbook?

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

The unibody aluminum housing of the MBP is more rigid than the white plastic housing of the MB. Thus it will transmit more vibrations rather than absorb them. It also sounds like you MBP has more RAM which takes longer doing the POST (power on self test).

3. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Ah so more RAM equals more time it takes before your screen goes from Black/OFF to Grey/On? Yeah hers has 1gb RAM and my MBP is at 8gb.

Thanks for the info!

4. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

Sorry to semi-hijack your thread but would am debating getting a momentus XT for my late 2007 white macbook - but have heard many people have issues with them, and others love them.

So would also be very interested to see how it performs in a regular MB as it seems a lot of MBP owners have problems with them especially the newer MBP's.

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I've used a Momentus XT in a 2009 MBP for a couple of months without any issues at all. It's a bit faster than a normal 2.5" HDD, but not dramatically so.

6. cube macrumors G5

The right question is who still has problems after installing the SD25 firmware.

7. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

Well judging from Seagate's forums....quite a few people!

8. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I didn't have problems besides that it vibrated like crazy when I had it installed on my MBP... on my sister's MB it is much better. I like it on MB better than MBP...

The start up time is crazy fast... it's the same speed as my SSD... from button on to ready to go it's 33 seconds.

Before the SD24 update I was getting pinwheel a lot... but after SD24 it was fine. I did SD25 yesterday just to be on the safe side... I don't live in the same state as my sister so I can't do anything to her computer again until it's either shipped to me or I go to her.