Momentus XT or Intel X25-M/Optibay?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, May 24, 2010.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

What would you do? I have an Intel X25-M on the way from newegg right now. and an optibay alternative/superdrive. Should I keep with this, or try out a 500gb 7200rpm hybrid drive for like $130?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would wait for some user reviews of the new hybrid drive. You can cancel the SSD for now and decide later

3. DSLisFREE macrumors newbie

I would stick with the SSD due to the substantial speed improvements. I believe the preview from Hotware gives good insight.

http://hothardware.com/News/Seagate-Momentus-XT-Solid-State-Hybrid-Preview/

4. Fuchal macrumors 68020

SSD for sure. The hybrid drives are faster than a plain hard drive but not close to SSD level. Combining with the Optibay is truly the best of both worlds.

5. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

SSD as the main drive and hybrid as a data drive sounds like the winna to me. Would have done that myself on my dual drive MBP but it's working good with the setup I have.

cheers
    JohnG

6. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I just saw realworld benchmarks from anandtech, and the hybrid drive will be worlds faster than the 5400rpm drives I'm used to (a light user, 13", not a gamer). Just ordered a 500GB XT from newegg, and going to return the Intel X25-M. Thanks guys for the advice anyways.

I save the hassle of invalidating apple warranty and ripping out the SuperDrive, although I was looking forward to the process. This should be simpler :)

7. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

tough decision as of now, but i would too also wait for some user reviews. but at the end of the day i believe going with the x25-m will be ur best bet if you want to play it safe!

8. singhjeet29 macrumors regular

What would I do? Well What I DID, is that I put the Intel 25-X in the Optibay and boot from there. And keep the stock 7200rpm HDD, I got with the MBP, in the HDD bay for my media.

I lose the Safe sleep functionality, which kinda sucks, but I'm more than happy with the ridiculous speed benefits of the SSD.

9. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I'm excited for the Momentus XT to arrive.

Optibay sounds tempting, but at this point and for my needs, the hybrid drive should be more than enough to make me satisfied!

10. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

SSD all the way. Also I don't trust Seagate anymore after their worldwide Barracuda failure catastrophe.