Momentus XT + SSD in optibay: Worth It? Make any sense?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mmrbl pismo, Apr 14, 2011.

1. mmrbl pismo, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011

mmrbl pismo macrumors newbie

Hi friends,

so I'm looking to upgrade my internal hard drive (320GB 7200 RPM Hitachi from Apple) to a higher capacity internal HD, but I plan on doing a dual drive solution in a few months with an 60 GB SSD for my OS and other essentials.

I do have performance issues (I run logic, final cut and other production SW) so I was looking at the Momentus XT -- is the speed boost worth it itself for the next few months, or should I just wait it out and go for a standard 750gb/7200rpm until I can add the SSD?

Also, are the any advantages or issues with running the XT hybrid alongside an SSD?

Thanks!

2. falconeight Guest

falconeight

I currently am running a 90GB intel x25m with the stock 500gb apple hdd. Before I was using the xt and regret getting rid of it. The 500gb apple hdd is pretty slow compared to the xt. I dont know if a regular 7200 hhd is as fast as the xt but it is cheaper.

3. mmrbl pismo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for responding -- a couple of questions: is your stock hdd 5400 rpm? and why did you get rid of the XT? was the XT ever in the dual drive set up? if so, was the speed advantage of the XT really noticeable in terms accessing files?

i'm essentially choosing between the standard Momentus 750/7200 and the XT, which is only at $10 difference on New Egg at the moment, so the real tradeoff is between capacity and speed, until I can afford an SSD this summer.

thanks again!

4. mmrbl pismo thread starter macrumors newbie

5. LuckyLoki macrumors newbie

I have the Momentus XT installed in my '09 MBP right now. Works really well. I wouldn't recommend it as a storage drive (a la optibay), as the NAND flash memory on it is read only, making it ideal for a boot drive. I'm going to put in an SSD in my new MBP and put in the Momentus in the optibay and use it for my personal data/media.

6. LuckyLoki macrumors newbie

I would get the Momentus. You'll appreciate the 4GB flash memory on it; it will reduce the loading times of all the apps you use regularly, as well as your overall loading time into the OS.

7. falconeight Guest

falconeight

My hdd is 5400 i got rid of the xt to buy a ssd. Now I think i should of saved the money by using the xt it was plenty fast for me.

8. CHSeifert, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011

CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

Heard people had beachballs with the momentus xt hybrid drive ??

I would consider it if it runs smoothly on MBP !

9. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

you know im thinking the same. I was comparing side by side my mbp to the mba 11". boot time was only 11 seconds slower (which i don't care since my computer is always sleeping) and applications loading was only .5-1 second slower if that. And this is on the 5400 rpm stock drive.

But i don't need 500 gb of space. 120 gb would be more than enough. i wish a 120 gb ssd was closer to $100ish. id get it in a heart beat. I might buy the momentus xt for now and than transfer it to my desktop when sata III drives get cheaper.

10. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

No issues at all here. I believe that there is a firmware version that causes problems, but I haven't bothered with firmware.

11. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Funny you should say that, as I think Apple has figured this out as the 128GB SSD on the BTOs is $100 extra, or $90 with educational pricing.

12. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

That $100 price everyone throws out there for the BTO ssd is for the MBP 15" 2.2 i7 and above. Not for MBP 13" or the mbp 15" base. its $225 for the 128 ssd.

13. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

You are correct, Sir. I never noticed that as the base 15 nor the 13 were never in my sight. With education pricing and my needs (mainly a Hi-Res AG screen the 13 was out and the base 15 made no sense as for a few dollars more, I got a much better deal. Nothing wrong with the 13 as I bought one for my wife, just didn't fit my needs.

14. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

No need to explain. I needed the size of my 13" and it does everything i need and more. My Desktop does most of the heavy lifting anyway.

15. grazykid macrumors newbie

I have a momentus xt as a boot drive and the 750gb 5200 in the optibay and use logic daily. momentus xt: for logic and plugins and stock 5200 drive in optibay as the audio (project) destination. Works great. I wouldn't suggest using the momentus xt for saving audio and having it as the project destination as I have encounter some audio drop outs and hard disk errors from logic when just saving onto the momentus. I think the momentus as mentioned before is best as a boot drive or I don't really think is worth the extra cash.

In your case I would just get a normal 7200 rpm and the ssd for the boot apps.

16. CHSeifert, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011

CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

GREAT :)

Then I will order a Momentus XT 500 GB for my upcoming MBP 15 and place it in the sata 2 optibay. I ordered the mbp 15 with the Apple 256 SSD as BTO option because I know this supports TRIM and works right out of the box :)