Momentus XT- Stuttering in source/valve games?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nocky24, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Nocky24 macrumors member

Since I've upgraded to this XT drive I've noticed unusual drops in fps in these games (particularly TF2) compared to my standard 7200rpm drive. I thought it might be a source engine/OSX Lion issue until I compared both drives properly.

The firmware is SD26. Has anybody else come across these issues in source games?

2. Philflow macrumors 65816

3. Nocky24 thread starter macrumors member

Will it definitely fix it then?

4. Philflow macrumors 65816

I'm not sure but there's a good chance it will fix it.

SD25 was very stable, SD26 has problems with Mac (if you search on these forums you can find more info).

SD28 fixes some issues and improves random performance. I'm running SD28 now. Here's how it performs in bootcamp. Especially 4K random read and write has improved.

[​IMG]

5. Nocky24 thread starter macrumors member

The problem is I need to know if it'll work before I update the firmware as it'll void any chance of a refund otherwise :/

Those results for random reads/writes look pretty impressive though over the older firmware.

6. Philflow macrumors 65816

You think they're going to check the firmware and then say 'no you can't get a refund because you updated the firmware'? Sounds unlikely to me. Personally I would try to fix the issue myself (by updating the firmware) before I ask for a refund.

7. Nocky24 thread starter macrumors member

Can anyone confirm how SD28 is running with source games?

8. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

It's most likely NOT a hard drive issue. I've had no difference in Source-driven games (Portal, TF2) between SD25 and SD28.

9. Philflow macrumors 65816

@ nocky, in case you haven't yet, sometimes resetting PRAM and EFI can fix issues.

10. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Lol, I was about to post this.

Sometimes the things people post on this forum just crack me up.

11. Nocky24 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, but I've had it confirmed that it will negate any chances of a refund with this retailer, hence my reason for asking again.

12. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Bought the Dell one, correct??? Have been numerous reports from others about Dell supporting only their own branded firmwares.

13. UGeorge macrumors newbie

I am running sony vegas pro 10 (video editor) on an ASUS g73sw gaming laptop computer. During video rendering the cpu usage would randomly go to 0%. Replacing the hybrid "work" drive appears to fix the issue. I have upgraded to SD28.
    I recently installed crysis, and the video playback stutters badly. Installing the game on the video "work" drive fixed the stuttering.